Boston Homebrew Competition - Feb 22

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeekage

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome back for another year! It is with great pleasure that The Boston Wort Processors present the 19th Annual Boston Homebrew Competition. We look forward to your participation this year! The competition will take place on Saturday, February 22, 2014. Right now we are accepting general registration, as well as registration for judges and stewards. We will begin accepting Entry registrations on January 3rd, 2014.

Consider signing up to volunteer in the competition. We need Judges and Stewards. You'll get Food, beer, and swag!

Please see the competition website for all the pertinent details. Do not hesitate to contact one of the Staff listed if you have any questions!

http://bhc.wort.org

Just added a drop off location on the South Shore for those who don't want to trek into the Boston area!

Keep checking the site for more updates. We are working on some more drop off locations and sponsors for some great prizes too.

Can you provide a location for mail-in entries for folks like myself who might be interested in getting an opinion from non-friends on their brew? :)

Can you provide a location for mail-in entries for folks like myself who might be interested in getting an opinion from non-friends on their brew? :)

We are just confirming the shipping location and as soon as we do I'll post it here as well as on the competition site.

There's a couple new drop off locations now. One in Newton and Belmont. Still working on the shipping location.

We have decided to cap the number of entries to 450 this year. Last year we had over 470 so we will most likely fill up before the deadline. Enter Early!

Mail-in info? Should I go ahead and sign up and pay my money and mail it to one of the locations for drop-off or is there a separate location to mail entries?

There will be a shipping location. It will likely be one of the drop off locations, we just have to confirm which one. I will post here when we get confirmation which one it will be.

Entries aren't being accepted till January 3rd anyway. We are hoping to have it confirmed by then.

There's a couple new drop off locations now. One in Newton and Belmont. Still working on the shipping location.

We have decided to cap the number of entries to 450 this year. Last year we had over 470 so we will most likely fill up before the deadline. Enter Early!

is the belmont location going to be the craft beer store in downtown belmont. would be very convenient.

Do we need to submit 2 or 3 bottles? I swear it said 3 when I looked at it earlier this month but now the entry info page says 2?

Do we need to submit 2 or 3 bottles? I swear it said 3 when I looked at it earlier this month but now the entry info page says 2?

Good Question. The site used to say 3 bottles, as historically we have required 3 bottles. However, this year we decided to switch to 2 bottles per entry. So you only need to submit 2.

Good Question. The site used to say 3 bottles, as historically we have required 3 bottles. However, this year we decided to switch to 2 bottles per entry. So you only need to submit 2.

Excellent, since I'm down to just two bottles of my Belgian IPA

We are still in need of Judges and Stewards for competition day (Feb 22nd). If you or anyone you know is willing to do either please send me a PM or have them sign up on the site. You don't have to be BJCP certified as long as you're familiar with the style guidelines.

We are also over 3/4 of the way to the entry cap. So if you were holding out, now's the time to register.

And the website with all the pertinent info is: http://bhc.wort.org

Hi,
Kind of a random question. How much 'refrigerator time' will the entries get before judging on Feb. 22? Do they get picked up from the drop off location days, weeks, or hours before judging? I'm pushing the carbonation envelope on one entry and was curious if I'll get an extra few weeks of room temp conditioning.
Thanks!
- Mike

They are kept at cool cellar temps till right before the competition at which time they are chilled to serving temperatures. The entries don't spend much time, if any at room (~70f) temp.

Cool, thanks!
I just printed my labels and got 4 per entry. Did I miss something? You're just requiring 2 bottles per entry, right?

Thanks again!

Bummer, missed this comp again this year! Nothing ready to send anyway as Heady Topper clone still in primary!
wonder how many heady topper clones will be in this years competition. I know of at least two guys entering heady topper clones. also know of 3 pliny the elder clones entering. wish I could judge that category.

wonder how many heady topper clones will be in this years competition. I know of at least two guys entering heady topper clones. also know of 3 pliny the elder clones entering. wish I could judge that category.

awesome, I happen to be judging that. I got PtE fresh in mind so they better be good!

from what I heard yesterday, not many winners in IPA category. what did you see dcp?
Overall, a good competition yesterday, run very well. I ended up judging Belgian Darks and Bocks. my palette was pretty tired by the end. Of the 3 beers I entered, I did pretty well with my Amber - scored a 41. kind of surprised it didn't place with the score that high and the comments I got lauding it.

that was my experience. my flight seemed a bit worse than the others tho. not many flawed, but alot were just very underhopped. It's a tough category tho as obv the fresher the better. even the mini-BOS was kinda lacking I thought.

bravo on the amber, thats unfortunate you didn't get a medal, but sadly sometimes its just the way things go with mini-BOS esp in such a big category. glad you enjoyed the competition

Any idea where I can find results for this? Didn't see anything posted yet, but I could be missing it.

Nothing is posted yet, just checking that the results were entered correctly. The winners should be up later tonight on the site.

Latest posts

Back