Boston area things to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binabik

Reaction score
Coming up to Boston for a few days with the family (one preteen boy). I haven't been to Boston (except for business) since the late 70's and was looking for ideas as to what to see/do. I know the Freedom Trail and the Boston Tea party boat (do they still do that?), but am looking for fun things to do.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

About 50 miles north. The White Mountains in New Hampshire... Just about anything away from even a small city for me.......

It's more than 50 miles north. As someone who lives north of Franconia Notch, it's a haul. You're a solid 2 hours from Lincoln/Woodstock. That's not including if you want to go like Conway/Mt. Wash. that's anouther half hour instead. Really cool area to visit, lots of hiking and stuff like that if you're into that. And it's cool to go up to Mount Washington, it's a cool place.

Boston has tons to do. It's a cool city. Go there, do stuff like the liberty trail, go to the commons, so on so forth.

It's more than 50 miles north. As someone who lives north of Franconia Notch, it's a haul. You're a solid 2 hours from Lincoln/Woodstock. That's not including if you want to go like Conway/Mt. Wash. that's anouther half hour instead. Really cool area to visit, lots of hiking and stuff like that if you're into that. And it's cool to go up to Mount Washington, it's a cool place.

Boston has tons to do. It's a cool city. Go there, do stuff like the liberty trail, go to the commons, so on so forth.

Oops, maybe 150 miles north...... It's been too long since I've been up there.

Boston HAD Fenway and the Bleachers at $1 but that was a LONG time ago. Think "streaking"......

There may be other things good in Boston but I will probably never find out. Any city over 25,000 population is WAY too congested for me....

150 is closer. I think I'm about 150 from Boston.

I wish I had your love for the country, I'm a small city boy. I miss New Brunswick so much.

Duck tour is popular. Sam Adams test brewery has a nice tour in Jamaica Plain neighborhood. Depends on the weather. Not a good city to walk around in when it's 90+ with 100% humidity as it is this week. Lots of great museums for kids and adults. The aquarium is great. You can also take a commuter boat out to one of the harbor islands. They run regularly out of the North End.

Sam Adams tour is fun and its nice to say you did it but Harpoon I really enjoyed. Afterwords walk down along the water past the Court House to Barking Crab, a dive bar/restaurant with great food on the water. A game at Fenway. A walk around MIT and Harvard. The Freedom Trail. Lunch at Cheers. So much to do, Boston is an awesome city!

Boston is walkable but not sure how kid centric your looking for vacation. A little tip I give to people out of town especially if they don't like to drive in the city (But you have to try driving in the city :-/ to know fun frustration) The one little secret is to take the MBTA ferry from old Charleston Navy Yard to the center of the city.

Charleston is just north of the city. For like $3 you get a 20 minute tour of the city from the sea. Bunker Hill monument is like two blocks from the ferry landing which is right next to the USS Constitution and some modern ships. You get a great view of the city, airport/planes and harbor as it drops your off right near the Aquarium. Even if you don't go inside the aquarium there's a tank full of seals for free. Sometimes you see seals and other wildlife on the ride over. Just make sure you know the schedule with getting back. Near the end of the night it only runs once an hour I think.

From there you can walk to Faneuil Hall, the North End, Paul Revere's House, the Old North Church (where the lanterns were lit for Paul Revere to get the go ahead to ride that night)

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/boats/lines/?route=F4
http://www.nps.gov/bost/learn/historyculture/cny.htm

ferry.jpg

PS - The area where the Tea Party is revitalized. They have a whole new museum there. Never visited it tho

Love these older threads I'll be heading to Boston in two weeks and I'll be checking out some of these suggestions. Thanks everybody!! :mug:

Latest posts

Back