BOMMS have contams, use campden tablets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRW1

Reaction score
Hello
Apparently the 4 BOMMS I have going at my friends house have gotten some orange organic growth. I dont wanna dump them so can I use campden tablets to kill everything inside of it and hope for no off flavors? Thanks for advice

Hello
Apparently the 4 BOMMS I have going at my friends house have gotten some orange organic growth. I dont wanna dump them so can I use campden tablets to kill everything inside of it and hope for no off flavors? Thanks for advice
The usual suggestion for possible contaminations, pellicles etc, is to rack from below the surface to a new jug/carboy/fermenter then sulphite it.

Of course, I have to presume that they've finished fermenting ?

If they're still fermenting it's entirely possible that it could just be "yeast islands" with the colour coming from proteins etc in the honey.

Maybe you could post a picture as it might help others have a better suggestion/diagnosis of whether it's infection or not........

when we rack i'll rack it off the fruits into a new container and then sulphite it. great idea. they are finished, have been going since june 18. when i get a chance ill get over to his house and take pics. thanks again for the great idea.

Latest posts

Back