Boiling Wort: Looking for an answer based on science

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernardsmith

Reaction score
The idea of the need to boil wort seems to me to be largely (although not solely), based on the need to kill bacteria and yeasts that are likely to be in the grains. Wine makers use K-meta to kill wild yeasts and other bacteria and fungi on fruit. Brewers don't. Why not? Is there a reason for brewers preferring to boil wort? (It cannot be simply to increase the gravity because one could mash and sparge to produce the gravity you are looking for, and precursors of DMS may not always be so evident if different kinds of grains are used or if the volume of the batch is small).

Isomerization of hop oils is one reason to boil wort for a specified period of time. A side benefit is that unwanted bacteria and yeasts are killed. I suppose you could reverse those two.

Isomerization of hop oils is one reason to boil wort for a specified period of time. A side benefit is that unwanted bacteria and yeasts are killed. I suppose you could reverse those two.

and if I am not in fact using hops to bitter my beer but say, gesho or gruit herbs?

and I am looking for a Maillard reaction for what reason?

Maillard reactions are the 'toasting' or cooking type of reactions. That gives color and flavor to the wort.

During the boil, hops oils isomerize and proteins coagulate. The 'hot break' causes some of the tannins and proteins from the grain to fall out of suspension. This also makes the pH drop, as after the boil the wort is lower in pH, and then the yeast will lower the pH a bit futher as fermentation begins.

Some beers, particularly Berliner Weiss, do skip the boil as the beer is sour by design.

If you aren't looking to isomerize hops, and have no need for maillard reactions, then no, a boil is not necessary. But, do keep in mind that even with Gesho and Gruit, the plant materials are typically boiled in the wort. Most likely a convenience factor there though.

However, as Yoop has pointed out you will also not benefit from any protein coagulation and the resultant beer will be hazy and shelf life may suffer.

I see no one has mentioned it, but the boil drives off DMS precursors. It's true that there are beers that are "no boil", though I'm not sure "no boil" is a modern standard practice. Some people are really sensitive to DMS and claim they can test it in a "no boil" beer.

The other thing is that boiling water is hot enough to kill most everything in seconds. Not many organisms can withstand 212*F heat.

So it looks like the real reasons are: drive off DMS, isoalphamerize acids in the hops, cause changes to the sugars, coagulate proteins and drop the pH.

boiling wort is the only thing that can save you from crocodile bile in your beer

It is? In Mozambique this past week the beer was apparently boiled and that bile still somehow slithered in... I guess boiling ain't everything it's cracked out to be.. :drunk:

It also boils off water volume. There is a trade-off between mash volume and sparge volume to attain your final volume and still adequately rinse the grains. The BIAB process is one end of the spectrum, and a mash ratio of 1.25:1 is probably the other end. However, you could certainly design a recipe to hit your batch volume without having to boil anything off.

I am not sure how much K-meta would be required to kill off all the LA bacteria that cover raw grain but it might exceed the flavor threshold. Also, breweries would then be required to have "contains sulfite" on the labels which I am sure they would resist.

Boiling has the highest energy cost for brewers and I would bet that if there was a reasonable way to reduce the time required, they would.

It is? In Mozambique this past week the beer was apparently boiled and that bile still somehow slithered in... I guess boiling ain't everything it's cracked out to be.. :drunk:

Someone poisoned the homebrewed concoction (not sure if it was actually beer.) People that drank the concoction in the morning were fine, people in the afternoon were poisoned.

That crocodile bile must be very powerful to poison that many people without any noticeable flavor difference. I feel sorry for those people , what a gawd awful way to go.

Kmeta also let's you to keep topping up your wine for years and use really crude bottling procedures and still get awesome aromas a year after bottling while our dryhopped IPAs will get cardboardy in a few weeks or months if we would try any of that.

I guess my real question is why brewers don't use K-meta to remove all wild yeasts and bacteria on the grain..

Another way to look at this question is, "Why don't winemakers boil their grape juice?"

K meta requires 24 hours before yeast can be pitched. A boil is just an hour.

Winemakers don't use heat pasteurization simply because it sets pectin, resulting in a brown, hazy mess after fermentation. It's the same reason cider makers don't boil, either.

Lastly, wine results in a higher alcohol product with no residual nutritional value. So, not too much can live in it after fermentation. Beer has residual sugar, protein and nutrients, along with an alcohol level that's 30% to 50% of what wine is.

The benefits of a boil are, concentration, isomerization, protein coagulation, sterilization, volitization of DMS and caramelization. The boil is one of the key flavor development parts of making beer or gruit. It's simply more efficient than K Meta.

before about 1500 AD ale was not boiled, just run off the grain bed to the fermentation vat. Herbs or botanicals may have been added to fermentation. Usually 10 gallons from a bushel of grain. No boil ale usually went bad after 7 days or so due to bacterial contamination. I've made no boil ale that ended up OK (modern ideas of cleanliness make it unlikely to spoil). The usual mash temp is pretty good at pasturizing or killing the bacteria in the grains.

Hops were used in the continent (Europe) by mid 1400's and came to england in the last 1400 or early 1500. (and the product was called "beer" then).

Boiling the hops (for isomerization & bittering) also concentrates the wort, so you can actually increase efficiency and make higher gravity beer than you can with a no boil ale.

before about 1500 AD ale was not boiled, just run off the grain bed to the fermentation vat. Herbs or botanicals may have been added to fermentation. Usually 10 gallons from a bushel of grain. No boil ale usually went bad after 7 days or so due to bacterial contamination. I've made no boil ale that ended up OK (modern ideas of cleanliness make it unlikely to spoil). The usual mash temp is pretty good at pasturizing or killing the bacteria in the grains.

Hops were used in the continent (Europe) by mid 1400's and came to england in the last 1400 or early 1500. (and the product was called "beer" then).

Boiling the hops (for isomerization & bittering) also concentrates the wort, so you can actually increase efficiency and make higher gravity beer than you can with a no boil ale.

I think that you have caught the underlying issues that I am/was trying to get at with my question. Gruit herbs also had the effect of inhibiting spoilage so even when no hops were being used it is not clear that spoilage is intractable... and if you make small batches and drink the brew in much the same way that you keep and drink milk or bread... then spoilage after a few weeks is not really an issue... but someone in an earlier post pointed to the Maillard effect and someone else used the term caramelization.. Those are certainly thoughts but presumably only if one is trying to make beer to meet BCJP style guidelines... But who says that the only beer is beer made to those guidelines?

I think that you have caught the underlying issues that I am/was trying to get at with my question. Gruit herbs also had the effect of inhibiting spoilage so even when no hops were being used it is not clear that spoilage is intractable... and if you make small batches and drink the brew in much the same way that you keep and drink milk or bread... then spoilage after a few weeks is not really an issue... but someone in an earlier post pointed to the Maillard effect and someone else used the term caramelization.. Those are certainly thoughts but presumably only if one is trying to make beer to meet BCJP style guidelines... But who says that the only beer is beer made to those guidelines?

Nobody says that. You don't have to boil. But, as stated in this thread there are lots of good scientific reasons to boil, which have been adopted over time to consistently make good beer.

I say that if you can make some really tasty no boil batches of beer than by all means go for it! It's still beer right? That's beside the point. If you do make some tasty stuff please do share.

The simple solution to your question: just make a small batch using the techniques you want and see if you like it.

The idea of the need to boil wort seems to me to be largely (although not solely), based on the need to kill bacteria and yeasts that are likely to be in the grains. Wine makers use K-meta to kill wild yeasts and other bacteria and fungi on fruit. Brewers don't. Why not? Is there a reason for brewers preferring to boil wort? (It cannot be simply to increase the gravity because one could mash and sparge to produce the gravity you are looking for, and precursors of DMS may not always be so evident if different kinds of grains are used or if the volume of the batch is small).

The primary reasons for boiling your wort are:
Sterilize the wort itself
Concentrate the wort (that's why you measure pre & post boil OG)
Isomerize the hop oils
Maillard reaction adds color, longer boil more color
Hot & cold break to precipitate proteins & other unwanted compounds

How about an answer based on common sense?

For most beer, in general, the main flavor focus is the play between sweet and bitter.

There is a benefit to boiling malt sugars and hops to achieve balance (or intended imbalance) while increasing complexity. Clarity is also improved since most of the solids fall out of suspension post-boil in the form of trub. This, in turn, improves shelf life.

Wine's main flavor focus is the play between sweet and sour.

It would be detrimental to boil grape juice. Desirable tart/sour flavors do not hold up well to heat period. The concentration of the juice after boiling would sweeten things up tenfold. You wouldn't really have any tartness left to offset the sweet. You will also have issues with pectin production.

Boiling the wort provides the time for reflective meditation while slowly and methodically drinking a mug of homebrew. Duh.

Now for scientific:

Boiling wort is normally required for the following reasons:

1. Extracts, isomerizes and dissolves the hop α-acids
2. Stops enzymatic activity
3. Kills bacteria, fungi, and wild yeast
4. Coagulates undesired proteins and polyphenols in the hot break
5. Evaporates undesirable harsh hop oils, sulfur compounds, ketones, and esters.
6. Promotes the formation of melanoidins and caramelizes some of the wort sugars (although this is not desirable in all styles)
7. Evaporates water vapor, condensing the wort to the proper volume and gravity (this is not a primary reason, it's a side effect of the process)

A minimum of a one hour boil is usually recommended for making quality beer. When making all grain beer, a boil of 90 minutes is normal for many commercial brewers, with the bittering hops added during the last hour. One exception to boiling was historically used to brew the Berliner Weisse style. Here, the hops were added to the mash tun, and the wort is cooled after sparging and then fermented with a combination of lactobacillus from the malt and an ale yeast.

Boiling for less than one hour risks under-utilization of hop acids, so the bitterness level may be lower than expected. In addition, the head may not be as well formed due to improper extraction of isohumulones from the hops. A good rolling boil for one hour is necessary to bind hop compounds to polypeptides, forming colloids that remain in the beer and help form a good stable head. An open, rolling boil aids in the removal of undesired volatile compounds, such as some harsh hop compounds, esters, and sulfur compounds. It is important to boil wort uncovered so that these substances do not condense back into the wort.

Clarity will be also be affected by not using at least a full hour rolling boil, as there will not be a adequate hot break to remove the undesired proteins. This will also affect shelf life of the bottled beer, since the proteins will over time promote bacterial growth even in properly sanitized beer bottles. The preservative qualities of hops will also suffer greatly if the wort is not boiled for one hour, as the extraction of the needed compounds will be impaired.

Boiling wort will also lower the pH of the wort slightly. Having the proper pH to begin the boil is not normally a problem, but if it is below 5.2, protein precipitation will be retarded and carbonate salt should be used to increase the alkalinity. The pH will drop during the boil and at the conclusion should be 5.2-5.5 in order for proper cold break to form and fermentation to proceed normally. Incorrect wort pH during the boil may result in clarity or fermentation problems.

The effects of boiling on the wort should match the intended style. It is often desirable to form melanoidins which are compounds produced by heat acting on amino acids and sugars. These add a darker color and a maltier flavor to beer. When desired, an insufficient boil will not form enough melanoidins for the style. Boiling the initial runnings of high gravity wort will quickly caramelize the sugars in the wort. This is desired in Scottish ales, but would be inappropriate in light lagers.

Vigorously boiling wort uncovered will evaporate water from the wort at a rate of about one gallon per hour, depending the brewing setup. In order to create a beer with the appropriate target original gravity, changes in the wort volume must be taken into account. Longer boil times or additions of sterilized water may be required to hit the target gravity.

Latest posts

Back