Boiling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kozwald

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I forgot that I was brewing an extract recipe and filled my kettle too far. I've added half the extract and the wort is right to the rim. I'm hoping for enough water to boil off before I add the rest but I was wondering if I could start a second pot with a couple of gallons of water, the rest of the extract and the aroma hops. Boil this down and then combined the 2 pots.

Any thoughts??

Normally, I add the bulk of the extract (especially LME) at flame out. Not only does that help with a crowded pot, but it keeps the color lighter, and keeps the beer from having a "cooked extract" flavor that I don't like.

Thanks for the feedback Yooper. I've seen a few threads about adding the LME at flameout. Can you do this with honey as well?

I've been adding about 1/4 of my extract at 60 min, and the rest with like 10 min left. I've read that you need a little extract in there from the beginning for good hop utilization. Who knows if thats true though. I also like avoiding the darker colors and cooked extract taste like another poster said. Seems like DME as opposed to LME helps with that as well.

How long do you guys let the wort sit before chilling if you're adding extract at flameout? I never thought of this, do you just boil your hops for the 5/10/15min and then cut the heat and add extract?

How long do you guys let the wort sit before chilling if you're adding extract at flameout? I never thought of this, do you just boil your hops for the 5/10/15min and then cut the heat and add extract?

Go immediately to chilling. By the time you get the LME stirred/dissolved completely it has been above pasteurization temperature of 162° for sufficient time. Pasteurization ian't necessary since it has already been done in manufacture, but a safeguard in case you added some contaminant with the LME.

Latest posts

Back