Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I have a 5 gal aluminum pot that would boil fairly well 4 gals prior to moving to a home with a glass top stove. I have to cover it to get it to boil, which I don't want to do. Would wrapping it with an old towel likely help being certain to keep it far enough away from the stove top?

A towel is asking for a fire. Seriously, I wouldn't risk it.

Have you tried straddling two burners? A friend of mine brews on a glass stove and we can do full boil (5 gallon/ ~6-7 gallons of wort) on his stovetop.

Insulating the sides may help and might be all the difference you need. If not, have you considered using a heat stick to help the boil?

Use a heat stick or bit the bullet and look for a used propane burner on craigslist.

I have a glass stove top don't really use it for brewing but once I broke my propane burner while changing out a tank so was forced to use the stove top and I was able to get it to boil while having the pot over two burners, just took longer. Also be careful cause you can't get rid of the heat like a gas burner, making a boil over a little easier to happen and trust me its a PITA to clean up!

I did try straddling two burners. It didn't work.

I've mentioned a drop in heating element, but SWMBO wants to do something else as she cans. We will most likely get an electric burner, but I just don't see a 120v burner doing much better.

I need a fix for now as I have plenty of ingredients to work with now, and it's just sitting there (getting the remainder of my needs today).

It's too hot and humid for too long here in TX, and there's too many bugs flying around. Plus I greatly enjoy the way the house smells all day after brewing! Wish someone made a candle or something!

I had been eyeing an 8 gal pot as I'd like to do full boils for my 6 gal batches. Without going to a 240v setup I doubt it's possible.

I have also been considering 2 pots, but I'm not sure how that effects the end beer.

Latest posts

Back