Bock with ale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigT

Reaction score
so i really would like to make a full bodied bock and its starting to get warmer weather and i have no way of fermenting at lager temps. would it be bad to use a yeast like safe ale 05 or an american ale yeast?

Ferment it cool. It's not uncommon for pseudo lagers to be done with ale yeast. Especially clean, relatively neutral strains such as o5. It obvious won't be exactly like a lagered bock, but it will be tasty. Rogue's Dead Guy ale is a maibock inspired ale, as opposed to a true lager. And it is delicious.

Ferment it cool. It's not uncommon for pseudo lagers to be done with ale yeast. Especially clean, relatively neutral strains such as o5. It obvious won't be exactly like a lagered bock, but it will be tasty. Rogue's Dead Guy ale is a maibock inspired ale, as opposed to a true lager. And it is delicious.

+10 on the dead guy! I went to super K to see if they still carried Cooper's stuff,they didn't. Damn. So,we did have to get some groceries for my wife's b-day,I found Rouge's dead guy ale. They even have one from Brooklyn brewery. But the dead guy's hopping left some malt forwardness I really like. Y'all were "dead" on with that one!
As a point of interest,the amber colored Paulaner Salvator doppel bock is brewed as an ale. I think they could back down on the bittering hop additions a little,though.

:off:

Union, when you said Cooper's stuff are you talking about Cooper's homebrewer's stuff or actual coopers ale and lager? I've tried the sparkling ale at Outback steakhouse and thought it was great, but haven't found it here in michigan in bottles. Are you saying you can find it in Ohio?

:off:

Union, when you said Cooper's stuff are you talking about Cooper's homebrewer's stuff or actual coopers ale and lager? I've tried the sparkling ale at Outback steakhouse and thought it was great, but haven't found it here in michigan in bottles. Are you saying you can find it in Ohio?

I haven't found the bottles yet,but I'm still searching when I can borrow my son's car. Mine took a deer hit. Anyway,they used to carry Cooper's HB supplies,kits,etc. Super K does have a nice selection of craft brews,though. Can't remember them all,but will search further. There's a couple of local outlets I can check. Have to get back to you on that one. They have a couple I want to try. The Sparkling Ale is one of them.
*PS-I found 2 distributors in OH. Cavalier distributing Co. Blue ash,OH ph#513-247-9222; Esber Beverage Co.,Canton,OH ph#330-456-4361. They seem to be under Preiss imports at http://preissimports.com/...also,here's a review by a guy that had it in Kent,OHhttp://alcoholreviews.com/BEERS/coopers.shtml. LD Carlson is there too.

I brewed a bock with Wyeast 1007, fermented at 68F for 24h, then a week at 55F, then increased to 65F to finish. Took 2 weeks to reach FG. Tasted good.

Latest posts

Back