Bluebonnet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuljin

I come from the water
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone here entered the Bluebonnet? I'm think of entering, and would like some help on how to do it.

I went to it a few years ago because a friend of a friend was judging. I've never entered a comp though.

I've never entered it, but it's a well done competition from what I know of it.

Just as for any competition, read over the style guidelines and make sure your beer nails it, or it won't do very well in scoring even if the beer tastes great if it misses the BJCP guidelines!

What are you thinking of entering?

Once I've gotten a few more brews under my belt, I would like to enter some competitions. I'm not quite there yet, I don't think. I like everything I've brewed so far, though, and that's what matters to me at this point!

I haven't entered any comps yet. But, this might be my first. I have an APA, Stout and CDA ready. though, I'm not sure the stout and CDA would fit into a particular category.

It seems one would enter a recipe they've deftly honed over several years, but no. I'm entering this first ever Rauchbier I have right now. It came out exactly how I wanted, and I need to wet my feet with something. May as well be this one.

There were a few dozen entrants in the smoked beer category last year. I expect there will be experienced competition this year. Thing is, there's a beginners category. That's cool and all, but I want to see how this does in it's style category. I don't see anything that says I "must" or "can only" enter the beginner category. And I'm not a beginning brewer, so would it even be correct to enter that just because I'm new to competing? I don't wanna look like I'm sandbagging.

Of course, the judges may score me as rat piss. I doubt it though. There were a few truly messed up brews the year I went as a guest. Mostly though, they were truly amazing. I'd buy this in a store amazing.

Sorry I just now found this thread. The deadline was feb. 15. The event is not until march 21 and 22. My first time to enter in a comp. I'm entering a ipa and Christmas ale. Their is few guys from our club entering. We will be staying the night. They say their is lots of drinking going on. The website says largest single site event in US with up to 1525 entries. Can't wait!

Sorry I just now found this thread. The deadline was feb. 15. The event is not until march 21 and 22. My first time to enter in a comp. I'm entering a ipa and Christmas ale. Their is few guys from our club entering. We will be staying the night. They say their is lots of drinking going on. The website says largest single site event in US with up to 1525 entries. Can't wait!

Good luck!

So sorry I just got back onto the forum now that the comp is closed...

The new entrant category is an "as well as" category with a fully wide-open to style entry. If it's your first time to enter Bluebonnet, then you get to participate in the new entrant category. It's not limiting you to this cat only.

EX: Enter your Rauch in category. Also enter your Rauch in New Entrant with it's given BJCP style category listed in the notes.

I've got 7 in this year. Judging as well. This comp is always a blast. :tank:

Yeah. I screwed up and missed the deadline. When I looked, before 1-31, the entry says was to be announced, and I figured I'd check back later. I checked back too later. :eek:

Oh, well. I'll find something.

Thanks for the clarification on categories.

Back