Blueberry Wheat- Brewer's Best

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beek

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm about to start my second brew. My first was just a simple Coopers Stout with some added DME. It turned out pretty decent, SWMBO loved it!! Yes I married a stout lover, don't be jealous ;) Anyway for my next one I bought the Brewer's Best American Pale Wheat. I'm going to add frozen blueberries and blueberry flavoring. I'm assuming the berries go in secondary and the flavoring at bottling. So I'm just wondering how much of each. I have a ton of frozen blueberries and a bought a 4 oz bottle of the flavoring. Please help! Thanks everyone. Oh and if you haven't already, you should check out Brew Gadgets. They are the LHBS here and are awesome. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Hey Beek, I also started a American Pale Wheat beer ftom brewers best and today i racked my beer onto fresh strawberries in my secondary. To answer your question put your frozen blueberrys into your secondary and rack the beer ontop. I have heard that fresh fruits are best and prior to rackimg freeze them beforehand but not to long. When you free fruits the cell wall memberane breaks down easier which in result provides more flavors and sugars for your yeast to devour. As for the 4oz of bottling flavor you bought i dont know when or where to add that i usuallu just stick with fresh fruits and that provided enough flavor for my palates. Everyones different hope this helps! Cheers

Thanks!! Mostly I want color and aroma from the berries and flavor from the flavoring. I've heard that just having berries in the secondary produces a very subtle flavor. I want people to know that they are drinking blueberry.

If you're looking for upfront flavor add the extract at bottling. I would suggest adding 2 oz to your bottling bucket and taste. Then decide if you want to add more.

Back