Blueberry Cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noblesquirrel

Reaction score
So, taking a note from the Zombie Killer cherry cyser, me and a friend are starting up a batch of blueberry cyser. In the fermenter, we'll have 12lbs of wild blueberries, 4 gallons of apple juice and 7 lbs of honey (mix of starthistle, saw palmetto & orange blossom, it's what I need to get rid of). In doing so, blueberries will stain everything, it seems. Even a laminated countertop. Looking forward to fermenting this one out with Wyeast Sweet Mead yeast. I've found it to be the best to keep residual sweetness and to allow for crashing/stopping fermentation. We're looking at around 1.110 I think, though we'll see in a bit. Gonna probably keep a portion of the big stuff and add vanilla and cinnamon for a blueberry pie thing, then take the rest and add RO water to bring down to the 6-8% abv range. Should be killer.

Sounds nice......

just that I find that yeast to be such an over priced PITA.......

3 times I tried it, 3 times I had problems.

its 6 to 7 times more expensive than a sachet of ADY......

Think I'll leave liquid yeast to the beer wallahs and keep to my easily managed ways......

Still, I may have to have a crack at tbis mix. Blueberries must be useful for something :D

Yeah, the lower abv melomels are really the only use I have for the yeast. It's easier to knock out than most other wine strains.

I agree with fatbloke one Wyeast Sweet Mead yeast. I used to use it a lot and got tired of it crapping out early. These days if I'm doing a sweet, still mead I use a wine yeast and max out the ABV. If I'm doing a sweet cyser, I use an ale yeast and max out the ABV.

Back