Blue distillate and brown (copper?) flakes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geremy

Reaction score
So I ran some single grain mash (reasonably well filtered) this evening. The first 3 liters were perfectly clear, beginning at liter 4 I started to get a bluish tint to the distillate, and what looks like a brown/coppery looking flake. My search online yielded many answers, sometimes contradictory. Generally people are saying either too much nitrogen in the wash thus creating ammonia, or copper sulfate (maybe acetate). I did a vinegar cleaning run followed by a water run beforehand. How, if at all, can I save this second half of the distillate?

Pictures included. The funnel shows whatever the brown stuff is, and you can easily see the difference in distillate.
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG

Keep it for window cleaner or fire starter or adhesive remover.

Run it through a coffee filter to remove the flakes, add some sodium carbonate to convert any ethyl acetate back into ethanol, and re-distill, it should come out just fine. The sodium carbonate reacts with the ethyl acetate, creating ethanol and acetic acid. The acetic acid is then converted to sodium acetate and carbon dioxide when reacting with the sodium carbonate.

Run it through a coffee filter to remove the flakes, add some sodium carbonate to convert any ethyl acetate back into ethanol, and re-distill, it should come out just fine. The sodium carbonate reacts with the ethyl acetate, creating ethanol and acetic acid. The acetic acid is then converted to sodium acetate and carbon dioxide when reacting with the sodium carbonate.

Thank you! I knew something could be done, just not well-versed enough in the chemistry to figure it out on my own.

didn't know that, voyering is educational! i would have thought you'd need a stronger base to split an ester, even with heat.... (is it because there's so much water present?)

If he were doing this, would he dilute down to a certain % alcohol before rerunning? like 20-30% or something?

didn't know that, voyering is educational! i would have thought you'd need a stronger base to split an ester, even with heat.... (is it because there's so much water present?)

If he were doing this, would he dilute down to a certain % alcohol before rerunning? like 20-30% or something?

It's generally recommended that you should dilute any distillate that you intend to re-distill to not more than a 40% wash, mostly for safety reasons, and especially if using an open flame.

It's generally recommended that you should dilute any distillate that you intend to re-distill to not more than a 40% wash, mostly for safety reasons, and especially if using an open flame.

with my reflux column i can pull 92% first run with a 16% wash...why i went electric! :mug: (thanks for the info)

Latest posts

Back