Blue Bonnet Brew Off 2016

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin C

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if many HBT'ers will be entering and/or attending this year's
Blue Bonnet Brew Off in North Texas.

I've never been but am looking forward to hopefully being able to attend this year.

bbofficiallogo.gif

Im so jealous of the number of homebrew competitions are within a reasonable distance of you. Hope you do as well as your previous ones dude

Im so jealous of the number of homebrew competitions are within a reasonable distance of you. Hope you do as well as your previous ones dude

Thanks @m00ps . We are indeed fortunate to have such a strong circuit in Texas.

This is the big one though. It typically attracts many excellent, well known and very prolific brewers. Some very big fish. :D

I'm brewing a beer this weekend that I hope to enter along with a couple of others I have on tap and want to get some feedback on.

Few more days until it opens!!

Question, I am a first timer and, want to enter three categories. They also have a first time entry. So do I enter the three and designate one as the First time entry or is it more like I enter the three and a completely separate entry for the first time category?

Thanks!

Few more days until it opens!!

Question, I am a first timer and, want to enter three categories. They also have a first time entry. So do I enter the three and designate one as the First time entry or is it more like I enter the three and a completely separate entry for the first time category?

Thanks!

I believe their is a category for the first timer and you can only enter 1 in it. Enter the other two according to style. I plan on entering 3. The best part is going to the event, especially Friday night. I have never seen so much brew at one place in my life!
Good Luck!

I'm a first timer and I've got 7 beers to enter. Super excited to get some feedback on a big range of styles.

I think new entrant would be a separate entry and require 3 more bottles of whichever beer you want to enter. But somebody else can chime in if I'm wrong?

Also, anybody know what category 45 A Special Hop Beer BLUEBONNET SPECIALTY is?

The new entrant category is independet from all of your other entries and will be whatever beer of your multiple entries you feel is the best overall. You will be required to enter additional bottles for the New Entrant category; ie, entering 3 beers plus 'new entrant' would be akin to entering 4 beers. It will be judged against it's declared style, so *please* declare it when filling out your entry!

The event is a full weekend of fun; a hell of a good time. Good luck to you all!

If any of you guys have any questions regarding entries and such, feel free to shoot me a PM, and I can either help or point you towards help to answer your questions.

Just registered and entered 4 beers.

Wheat Wine
English Barleywine
American Pale Ale
Sweet Stout

Maybe it is just me but I found it hard to figure out how to register.

http://bluebonnetbrewoff.org/bcoem/

Here is the link that will take you to the registration page. I'm pretty sure that you have to create a new account as they wipe the information from last years competition.

Oh, cool, so I can enter my saison into 25B Saison and the New Entrant category? Nice to know, I thought it had to be a separate beer. I have plenty left in the keg to get 6 bottles.

I love my own beer too much to sacrifice another three bottles for the New Entrant category, lol.

Wheat Wine
English Barleywine
American Pale Ale
Sweet Stout

Here is the link that will take you to the registration page. I'm pretty sure that you have to create a new account as they wipe the information from last years competition.

Thanks for the link. I was on last night and could not figure out how to register. Much appreciated.

ETA. I see the site was updated today to add the registration link.

Planning on entering

• Altbier
  • Vienna Lager (if there is enough left in the keg)
  • German Pilsner
  • English Mild (Brewing it this weekend)
  • Might enter my Apfelwein too.

I am waiting on a Scotch Ale turned Wee Heavy as well, but I'm not sure if it'll be ready by the time bottles are due.

Wheat Wine
English Barleywine
American Pale Ale
Sweet Stout

Well darn. I thought I might enter a wheat wine thinking no one else would and I could win. So much for that! ;)

Well darn. I thought I might enter a wheat wine thinking no one else would and I could win. So much for that! ;)

It will be interesting to see how many enter the wheat wine category since this is the first year for this category. I entered a wheat wine last year but put it in the Specialty Beer category. Made some changes based on the judges comments so hopefully it will do well.

http://bluebonnetbrewoff.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Subjects&file=index&req=viewpage&pageid=75

Here is the list of last years winners. It also shows how many beers where entered in each category. Looks like American Barleywine and Dry Stout had the fewest entries last year.

Got two beers bottled from kegs last night, and kegged my best bitter. Kegging the dark mild this weekend, hopefully those both with be carbonated (should be, since both styles are low carbed beers) in the next week so I can get them turned in before next Sunday when I leave for two weeks up at Fort Sill, OK.

Hope y'all got your entries off in time. I've got my ticket. Can't wait.

@Txbrew can you send me some decals/stickers to wear so folks can recognize?

I missed out on the Blue Bonnet, but will be entering probably the rest of the Lone Star Circuit. I may try to attend one this year too.

Any HBT in the house?

I'm the fellow with tbe pink shirt no beard and a Brett something in my snifter. Y'all should be able to figure that one out by the smell no?

Any HBT in the house?

I'm the fellow with tbe pink shirt no beard and a Brett something in my snifter. Y'all should be able to figure that one out by the smell no?

I was there earlier but had to leave to pick up my son from the Airport. Bummed that Vinnie had to cancel due to a death in his family. Did they have any type of Keynote speaker or address? Did they make any type of announcement if they will have the technical session tomorrow?

No unfortunately no replacement. Very disappointing but I feel very sorry for Vinnie. What a tragedy for him.

So many beers here.

I was sick and my team mate had his baby girl so neither of us was able to make it to the ceremony. Does anyone know when they're going to post results?

Back