Blowoffs blow w/ PICS!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgalati

Reaction score
For science, did an experiment with a 1.070 porter and a 1.069 CDA. Both had fermcap during boil, but only the porter, on right, had fermcap added to the fermenter (10 drops). Both had a 1.6L starter pitched directly into the beer, no crash cooling. Both starters ran for 13 hours. I used US-05 yeast. Also attached, the future brewhouse. But if anyone asks though... Its a woodpile that will eventually have electricity, running water and natural gas. A very nice wood pile.

1410719201592.jpg

1410719214602.jpg

1410719307548.jpg

1410719331816.jpg

This has been my experience as well. Fermcap drops out so fast that you just have to add more to the fermentor as what you added to the boil is in the trub at the bottom of the kettle. I have also noticed that it takes way less fermcap than they say it does in order to prevent blowoffs. I put 3-4 drops in a 5.5 gallon batch and it seems to work just as well for me as a full dose. YMMV.

A+

Some dark brews there!

Its funny, I never thought of running a blow-off into a 22oz bottle. thanks for the idea!

This post was timely for me as I used Fermcap-S for the first time yesterday for a boil that was an inch from the top of my kettle (fabulous!) and then at the advice above 4 drops in the fermenter (WLP565/WY3068 blend). This morning it was going like crazy, which would have forced a blowoff before, but with not even an inch of krausen. Awesome. Thanks!

Back