Blow off Tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamos6928

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting my third batch of extract brew. It is an Irish red kit from MoreBeer!. It has been in the fermenter for 27 hours now and my krausen is pretty big. I didn't think I would have a need for a blow off tube due to the fact that I do 5 gallon batches and my fermenter is 7.5 gallons but I am starting to get worried. I posted a picture below, my question is do you think my krausen will grow much more or is it about done growing? My temp is also a little high right now (72) but I put a fan blowing on it to try and bring the temp down. What do you think?

Attachments

• krausen.jpg
    krausen.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 435
Yes. Always yes. I use a blowoff tube on 8 gallon buckets with 4 gallon batches. Once you’ve painted a ceiling, you’ll understand why it’s a fairly cheap and easy insurance policy to cleaning a ceiling and everything else around a fermenter.

I have the same fermentor (minus the spigot) and encountered the same situation the first time I used it. I would *guess* you will be alright without one, but I can promise you that after the first time you have to clean krausen off the wall, ceiling and carpet you will just start using a blowoff tube every time (like I do...that was an expensive learning experience since I live in an apartment!)

If you place the fermentor in a tub of water and drape a wet shirt or towel over it with the fan aimed at it you will have a much easier time dropping the temp. Cheers!

edit: boomer is a faster typist than I am but he must have had the same experience I did lol

I doubt it'll blow, but I've also made a mess in the garage without one.

So you get it, then.

There’s no harm in using a blowoff so I use one with every batch and then switch to an airlock at 7 days.

After about an hour with the fan on the temp. started going down and the krausen went down a little. I think I'll be OK without the blowoff, which is good since I don't have anything to use for a blowoff tube.

After about an hour with the fan on the temp. started going down and the krausen went down a little. I think I'll be OK without the blowoff, which is good since I don't have anything to use for a blowoff tube.

Do you not have siphon hose? Just take a couple feet, attach to airlock, and place in a milk jug full of sanitizer.

Better safe than sorry. I always put a blowoff hose on the first few days if the beer is over 1.050. Under that is usually pretty safe. /cheers

bizarrely my big beers haven't blown off before - but some IPAs have - I always use a tube now - no matter what I'm brewing - even them I've had a tube block and a fridge redecorated before

after a week I move warmer and put an airlock on

Ive blown out in a 7 gallon carboy on 5 gallon batches twice, but the mess is way easier to clean than my blow off tube. You guys have some tricks to clean those blow off tubes or am i missing something easy?

As you have cooled and reduced the krausen you are probably safe. But for peace of mind and not cleaning your ceiling, start with a blow off tube, EVERY time... If you don't need it, good. If you do.........

I think you are good for this batch but I do always recommend a blow off for the first few days. You can ferment the whole time with a blow off tube at least until cold crashing. You could also do what is called krausening where you harvest the yeast from the krausen for another batch

Latest posts

Back