Blow off as starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electrake

Reaction score
Just wanted to share this one since it has made me unreasonably excited...

I did a partigyle brew yesterday, and the yeast in the big beer totally took off, had to change out my blow off container twice. However the smaller beer showed no signs of life at all, it had used some older yeast I had collected and washed.

Long story short, placed blow off tube into the smaller beers carboy and let it shoot it's magic into the beer.
Few hours later, pretty exciting developments showing strong signs of life.

Just to clarify: you mean you used the gunk inside the blowoff tube as a source of yeast, not that you poured in whatever vessel it was blowing off into?

The way I'm reading it is, he put the end of the blow off in to another beer. I actually think it's a pretty damn good idea.

Yeah I put the blow off tube directly into the top of another carboy lol. It worked!

agreed^ however based on the fermentation that has occurred already, I think it was the yeast that was bubbled in, it is definitely under attenuated for the length of time it has been sitting. I'm going to repitch with s04 most likely.

Back