Blood Orange Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garrett

Reaction score
So I have read a bunch of threads on the blood orange hefeweizen, but cannot seem to get an answer to my question.

I have a great hefeweizen recipe I came up with that I love to brew but was thinking of experimenting with it by adding some orange zest to the end of the boil and a bit into secondary.

My big question is if I add 16oz of fresh squeezed blood orange juice (whole foods carries it daily) to secondary will it cause issues with the beer or should all be kosher? Heard funny things about orange juice and yeast not getting along very well and causing some bad flavors.

I brewed an American Wheat last year using sweet orangezest in the boil, soaked a few ounces of Blood Orange zest in Vodka while the beer fermented, transfer the primary onto the soaked zest (w/voda) and 5 large freshly squeezed Bllod Oranges. it came out great! No issues with fermentation because it was essentially done. It took a week or two to mellow because I use dto much zest in secondary but it went down good.

Back