Doppelbock Blonde/Pale Dopplebock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP833
Yeast Starter
Big One
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
90 minutes
IBU
Color
7 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5 days at 51°F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5 days at 62°F
Additional Fermentation
Lager for at least 30 days
Tasting Notes
A longer boil and decoction do well to produce big, complex malt flavors, with a clean German lager yeast profile.

Mash

40% German Pilsner Malt
40% Vienna Malt
20% Munich Malt (light, 6L)
pH 5.4
  • Low sulfate (~20 ppm) with a Cl:SO4 ratio of 1.25

• Hochkurtz mash profile:
    144°F for 30 minutes, then infuse/decoct to hit 160°F for 45 minutes. I decoct, but adding a bit of melanoidin malt could suffice as a substitute.

• Due to the larger grainbill, expect to take a bit of a hit from your typical extraction efficiency. Take care of the yeast and pitch a big starter to ensure you get down to a final gravity that isn't cloyingly sweet.
Boil
90 minutes
24 IBU Magnum at 60 minutes
0.5 oz German noble hop at 20 minutes
0.5 oz German noble hop at 0 minutes

• I used a special hop not likely found anywhere but around me (Top Secret) for flavor and aroma, so your choice of typical German noble hop (Hallertau, Tettnang, etc.) should work.

Fermentation
  • Pitch at 46°F and let rise naturally to 51°F.

• Perform d-rest once you've hit about 75% of your expected attenuation (~1.035), hold for however long it takes to finish up and hit a constant FG.

• Slowly ramp down (3°F/day) to cold temps (33-35°F) and lager for no less than 30 days.

• Carb to 2.8 volumes.

Prost!

Last edited:
7 SRM is the software generated value, but I'd put it closer to 10 SRM due to the extended boil and decoction.

Despite the 2015 BJCP (9A) stating: "The pale versions will not have the same richness and darker malt flavors of the dark versions, and may be a bit drier, hoppier and more bitter," this one of mine does actually mimic the dark version, except without the dark malt flavors. It isn't drier, hoppier, nor more bitter, either. For all intents and purposes, this one is just like the dark version without the dark malt flavors/color.

Back