Blonde ale vs light lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfowlks

Reaction score
So my first newb question in a while but I wasn't really able to tell the difference and I hope you guys can help me out. But I was asked what is the difference between a light lager and a good blonde ale.

I know the difference between top fermenting and bottom fermenting yeast, as well as a bit more clarity because of the longer aging process with the lager. But I was wondering if you fine people, could help me out with more of a taste difference if there even is one.

Thanks in advance

Well, aside from the fact that a blonde is an ale and the light is a lager. Most light american lagers are made with adjuncts (corn and rice) as well as barley, where blondes are usually made from grain. You will usually have more flavor come from the ale.

The ale will have more flavour. Specifically, fruity esters. If fermented in the proper temperature range, lagers finish very clean, whereas ales generally produce a more complex profile.

Blondes tend to have more flavor overall when compared to light American lagers. They have more malt, hop, and yeast character. Fermentables tend to come from an all malt grain bill, which lends itself to more bready flavors in a blonde. Light lagers will have rice or corn adjuncts, which leave a dryer finish with less malt flavor. Light lagers generally have lower body and higher carbonation, which gives more of that CO2 bite, making it feel more crisp.

You can check out the BJCP guidelines for a better description of the two styles:

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style01.php#1a

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style06.php#1b

Thanks guys for the insight. It didn't occur to me about the fruity flavors from the ale yeast. Or the adjuncts with a light lager.

Much appreciated!

Is it considered a flaw (for purposes of competition) if a blonde is not is not crystal clear?

BJCP Style Guidelines said:
6B. Blonde Ale
Appearance: Light yellow to deep gold in color. Clear to brilliant. Low to medium white head with fair to good retention.

I'd say so, yes. There are lots of ways to achieve such clarity, although the easiest is simply patience.

I'd say so, yes. There are lots of ways to achieve such clarity, although the easiest is simply patience.

Thanks. The first time I brewed my blonde, it was as clear as a commercial lager. I made it again, but added a little more wheat for head retention (mistake) and it did not clear up near as well. Of course, I was hoping to enter it in a comp based on how good it turned out the first time, and now it is a touch cloudy because of my tweaking. Oh well.

I'm sure a more experienced brewer will have 200 examples of why/how I'm wrong but from my experience wheat in a brew makes it cloudy no matter what. That said I only brew for my taste enjoyment and don't care what it looks like or is judged as as long as it meets my requirement.

I'm sure a more experienced brewer will have 200 examples of why/how I'm wrong but from my experience wheat in a brew makes it cloudy no matter what. That said I only brew for my taste enjoyment and don't care what it looks like or is judged as as long as it meets my requirement.

There was a small amount of wheat in my batch that turned out crystal clear. I just pushed it too far with the second. A problem that will be remedied with batch #3.

Instead of adding wheat you could use some Cara-Pils (Dextrin) 5-10% to improve head retention, and it will help keep the clarity, without affecting the flavors or aroma

Follow up to this. The beer in question (with the wheat increased) has now cleared to a brilliant clarity. I guess I just needed to wait a little longer.

wfowlks said:
Good to know, do you have a pic, I'm curious to how clear it is

Here it is as of yesterday.

image-1391089953.jpg

Back