Blonde Ale to Summer Shandy Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imp81318

Reaction score
I have a recipe for a citrusy blonde ale that I've brewed twice (with variations on the hop additions) that I think is pretty good, and it has gotten rave reviews by the people that I've had sample it (including my wife). So, for my next brew I would like to set aside a portion (probably ~1 gal) of this beer to make a summer shandy for my wife. Having not made a shandy before, what do you guys suggest I add/modify? My thinking right now is to add some lemon peel and maybe a bit of coriander to secondary fermentation... thoughts on amount? Any other modifications? If there are some suggested modifications to the base recipe, I can also just brew a separate small batch for the shandy..

So, here is the base recipe I have to work from:

6lb pale liquid extract
1lb corn sugar

Steeping Grains:
1lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
8oz Vienna Malt

1.0 oz Perle (60 min)
0.5 oz Citra (30min)
0.5 oz Citra (0 min)

White Labs #WLP001 California Ale yeast

Thoughts?

Last summer I did the Kona Big Wave recipe available here and simply mixed it with a grapefruit soda (Squirt) at serving time to make a shandy. It was very tasty...

Back