Blickmann Fermenator rack arm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_met

Reaction score
I have a Blickman 7 gal fermenator. I've only used it twice so far. I use the bottom valve to remove yeast trub after the fermentation is complete.

I have a question about the racking arm. The first time I used it, I noticed how much beer was left in the fermenator (yes I did rotate it down). Since I'm removing the spent yeast after fermentation, I was wondering if I should just use the bottom valve when kegging. It seemed like there wasn't much yeast at the bottom at this time.

I just wanted to hear if others were using the racking arm or not. I never measured the amount of beer left behind, but would guess about 2 pints.

I don't have a blichman, but I do use a plastic conical with no racking port or arm. So far my method has been to dump yeast at least a day before, then dump again the day of before kegging.

Seems to work ok for me, although I still do get some yeast transferred.

I have a 14g Blichmann I dump yeast after fermentation and have used both the racking arm and the dump valve for transfer to kegs. This is what I have observed when using the racking arm.

non-dryhopped beers do fine and leave a minimal amount behind and I could get the .? of a gal left behind if I increased the height differential.

dryhopped beers of course leave more, but if I increase the height differential between the conical and keg I'm able to get a bit more beer out.

Raise your conical higher or if you go through the dump valve run it through a strainer or dump it till clear?. The cone packs the yeast down pretty good and I dump it till I see "beer" so I feel comfortable with going through the bottom valve, give it a try.

I have the Stouts conical and don't have the racking arm. I just use the racking outlet and forget about trying to get the last oz out of the conical. Still it seems a waste to leave that last little bit in there and when I'm rinsing prior to cleaning I see some clear beer coming out of the dump port.

Latest posts

Back