Blichmann Pro Pilot vs Spike System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StroudCreek

Reaction score
Looking to up grade my current system to either the Electric Blichmann Pro Pilot RIMS or the Spike System. I like them both, but I’m leaning towards the Blichmann System. What are your thoughts? Has anyone on here used both? This is a picture of my current system.

Attachments

• E595B751-4BD9-4797-AA8E-0A41839DD15C.jpeg
    E595B751-4BD9-4797-AA8E-0A41839DD15C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 126
I'd go with Spike hands down for a couple reasons.

1) Welded fittings. They offer both NPT and tri-clamp. Welded fittings are 10x better than weld-less fittings. That would be enough for me right there.

2) Spike control panel/electrical requirement. The Spike panel is a more industrial design. It has all the controls in one place and only requires a single 240v feed. The Blichmann requires at least (2) 240v feeds plus a couple 110v feeds for pumps. Running 240v line is not cheap and adds a lot of hidden cost to the Blichmann rig.

I'd go with Spike hands down for a couple reasons.

1) Welded fittings. They offer both NPT and tri-clamp. Welded fittings are 10x better than weld-less fittings. That would be enough for me right there.

2) Spike control panel/electrical requirement. The Spike panel is a more industrial design. It has all the controls in one place and only requires a single 240v feed. The Blichmann requires at least (2) 240v feeds plus a couple 110v feeds for pumps. Running 240v line is not cheap and adds a lot of hidden cost to the Blichmann rig.

I Can run the power myself, the Blichmann system is American made using American made steel, the Blichmann table is much better, also I prefer a RIMS system over a HERMS by a mile, the Blichmann system is less expensive, you can’t heat but one kettle at the time with the spike, unless you pay another $300 to upgrade the panel, which will require a 50 amp service. The only thing I like better about the Spike system is the welded fittings.

What size system are you looking at? Blichmann's US made kettles are only 5, 10 and 15 gallon if I remember correctly. Spike welds the fittings on in Milwaukee and a lot of their accessories are US made too. I know they are advertising their new Nano as 85% US made whereas the larger Blichmann stuff is all China made.

I've always liked a HERMS better due to scorching issues. It's $300 for the upgraded panel or running (2) 30a runs. I'm sure the material alone would come to a wash there plus add whatever you value your time at. Sounds like you have your mind made up though! I have some equipment from the big 3 companies and Spike's quality is far and away better.

I Can run the power myself, the Blichmann system is American made using American made steel, the Blichmann table is much better, also I prefer a RIMS system over a HERMS by a mile, the Blichmann system is less expensive, you can’t heat but one kettle at the time with the spike, unless you pay another $300 to upgrade the panel, which will require a 50 amp service. The only thing I like better about the Spike system is the welded fittings.

It seems you have already made up your mind for the Blichmann. I am also looking at upgrading to electric. Have to go look at the Blichmann now.

It seems you have already made up your mind for the Blichmann. I am also looking at upgrading to electric. Have to go look at the Blichmann now.
Honestly, I wish I could put the 2 together, their a lot of thing I like about both.

you could go that route. Buy the parts you like from each of the companies and build your own.

Honestly, I wish I could put the 2 together, their a lot of thing I like about both.
Why cant you? Order custom kettles from spike, buy or build a control panel setup for rims, find a table that meets your needs.. it will be custom to your desire and cheaper. Little more work but that's half the fun.

Back