Blichmann equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseMoose

Reaction score
Does blichmann equipment ever go on sale? I'm looking at picking up a riptide but all the discount codes at my lhbs exclude blichmann products. Just curious if it's worth waiting if sales ever happen

I've never seen it on sale. I own one, also a Hellfire. So i'm kind of attuned to Blichmann's stuff.

About the only way I can think of to get a discount on it is to go to someplace like Amazon and they'll often offer you a credit card and something like $40 or $50 discount for doing that. But then you have a credit card you have to deal with.

I did see the riptide for $179 around the holidays last year, and their controllers went on sale to close out leading up to and in preparation for the new controller roll out at homebrewcon. Other than a few rare exceptions, never on sale.

One quirk I've seen is that the new controller says MAP on the pages, but it allows discounts in the shopping cart at some vendors. One of the sites recently had a 17.76% sale for the 4th of July. I put the new controller in my cart, and it brought the price down to about $300. I didn't check out, so maybe they would have caught it before shipping, but for other things it would say "coupon not valid on this item".

Maybe because it's so new, some vendors haven't had a chance to put the SKU correctly into their system yet?

eBay deals are one of the workarounds, they are either too big to care, or the auction format is some sort of a legitimate workaround. I think it's more the former, because a MAP manufacturer got on one of the sellers I was linking to during an eBay promo after seeing my post.

re: sporadic enforcement of MAP, Carolina_Matt, I think you're right. I had the opposite happen on a sale going on today. Where the Cannular is not listed in the sale exclusion list but was not working with the coupon, because it really is MAP. So, things are out of kilter sometimes.

MAP, IMO, seems anti open market. In a free market economy the supply/demand determines the prices not some MAP cartel.

However, I'm not naive and I realize price fixing happens all the time. Just look at gas stations near each other. Amazingly, they all usually have the same price.

MAP, IMO, seems anti open market. In a free market economy the supply/demand determines the prices not some MAP cartel.

However, I'm not naive and I realize price fixing happens all the time. Just look at gas stations near each other. Amazingly, they all usually have the same price.

There is no price fixing. Blichmann has the right to sell their pump for whatever they want. There are other pumps like the Chugger or MarkII. You can buy those if you want--they're cheaper.

Marketing is largely (some might say completely) about managing the impression people get about products. If you can't get something like a Riptide "cheap" then what does that say about its quality? Why can't you buy a Cadillac for $17,000 new?

Last edited:
I think Blichmann sees it as a way to support small homebrew shops. If I can get their gear for the same price everywhere, I might as well get it at my local shop.

I think Blichmann sees it as a way to support small homebrew shops. If I can get their gear for the same price everywhere, I might as well get it at my local shop.

There may be something to that.

There's also the effect that price has on perceived quality. People tend to assume that if something costs a lot, it's worth a lot. And if Blichmann can keep their price level from being discounted (at least overtly), then that adds to the image of quality.

Whether it's fair or not, people tend--tend--to view price and quality as correlated. And that's generally true, though you could also look at utility. The Riptide has an output valve; you'd have to add one to the other, cheaper pumps. That valve, among other features, makes the Riptide more expensive, but you can add a valve to the cheaper ones which, then, increases the cost.

But there may be multiple results from their pricing strategy--the impression of quality, supporting homebrew shops....so maybe it's not just the one thing.

I used to make and sell custom golf clubs. They were very high quality (yeah, but just go with it for a moment). I would frequency-match the flexes, swingweight- or moment-of-inertia-match the weights...they were as good as I could make them, and for all intents and purposes, the clubs in a set were matched. Matched. The commercial sets coming off assembly lines are not. I know this because I measured them.

Anyway, I felt quality would tell, and that I wasn't interested in soaking people, so I just added $20 to the cost of components to make a club.

But....that did nothing to help with the image of these clubs. People often buy clubs because of their image. So when people pulled out a driver, say, and it said "Titleist" or "Ping" or "Taylor-Made" or whatever Tiger or Phil or whomever was playing, they could feel good about themselves.

What were people saying when they pulled a "Mongoose" out of their bag? Nothing.

What I should have done--it's so easy to be smart in retrospect--was I should have charged far more and given people a story to tell their friends about how the clubs were so much better than what they had in their bag. "Yeah, yours are Ping irons, but mine cost $900 and they are frequency-matched--see this graph showing that?--and perfectly matched on swingweight. That's why they cost so much, and why they're worth more than yours."

I would have sold fewer sets, but made more money, and on top of that, burnished my reputation as a custom clubmaker.

So, what's Blichmann? Answer: The custom clubmaker in the homebrew world. :)

Yes, marketing and perception are BIG parts of any commercial item. However, from what I read, your golf clubs were custom made, one-of-a-kind, items. These types of things are always expected to cost more. A billion chinese made pumps with relief valve really have no sufficient value unless the market is controlled (think of the diamond market where there are really only 2 or 3 diamond firms controlling the whole diamond market.)

Yes, marketing and perception are BIG parts of any commercial item. However, from what I read, your golf clubs were custom made, one-of-a-kind, items. These types of things are always expected to cost more. A billion chinese made pumps with relief valve really have no sufficient value unless the market is controlled (think of the diamond market where there are really only 2 or 3 diamond firms controlling the whole diamond market.)

Doesn't matter. What matters is the old Thomas Theorem: people don't act on the basis of reality, they act on the basis of their perception of reality. (that's my reiteration, here's a more specific definition.)

My clubs were inexpensive (though excellent). Perceived as not as good as something costing hundreds more. By the Riptide price being maintained high, it gives the impression of being high quality, in addition to it being actual high quality.

Now, would people shy away from a Riptide if the price dropped to, say, $79? Initially people would wonder where the compromises in quality had been made. After a while, though, after some people had taken the plunge and bought it and put it through its paces, the excellence of the price/performance ratio would be apparent, and it would be perceived by many as a really good deal.

As an example, why do people still buy a Barley Crusher at $139 when the Cereal Killer at $99 is, based on mine and many others' experience, the superior product? It costs $40 more, must be higher quality, right? But enough have had issues with the Barley Crusher, and enough have had great success that those who are aware of that will steer away from the Barley Crusher.

Anyway, interesting conversation.

Now, would people shy away from a Riptide if the price dropped to, say, $79? Initially people would wonder where the compromises in quality had been made.

The Digiboil is a great example of it. The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is because I'm afraid it's too inexpensive, so it's more likely to break.

The Anvil Foundry seems to have plenty of buyers, and a big appeal is that it has 120V & 240V (even though 240V seems underpowered at only 2800W). It's $370 without the pump, with no discounts allowed due to MAP.

If you really want both 120V and 240V, you can buy the 120V Digiboil and the 240V Digiboil today for $357 (with Morebeer's 15% off sale). And the 240V version has more power at 3500W.

Of course, the Foundry comes with a wort chiller but I'd much rather have a) more power with a 240V plug, and b) the option to make two batches at once.

One of the biggest differences is just the reputation of the company - people have more faith in the Anvil Foundry holding up compared to the Digiboil.

MAP...understand it. ADVERTISED price. Yes, Blichmann is very good at supporting LHBS by using MAP as does SS Brewtech. But after the MAP, the LHBS can do whatever it wants in the store. I've said it before....I'm amazed at the lack of negotiation on customers' part in buying "big ticket" items. But items with MAP have less room to move on price typically.

What I should have done--it's so easy to be smart in retrospect--was I should have charged far more and given people a story to tell their friends about how the clubs were so much better than what they had in their bag. "Yeah, yours are Ping irons, but mine cost $900 and they are frequency-matched--see this graph showing that?--and perfectly matched on swingweight. That's why they cost so much, and why they're worth more than yours."

I would have sold fewer sets, but made more money, and on top of that, burnished my reputation as a custom clubmaker.

So, what's Blichmann? Answer: The custom clubmaker in the homebrew world. :)

Blichmann actually has such charts and info, especially on the Hellfire burner. It helps some people get over that price differential.:rolleyes:

Back