Blichmann BrewEasy Temperature Probe Placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normans54

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Blichmann BrewEasy and I am trying to figure out where the best place to put the temperature probe is. The instructions seem to instruct me to place the probe either in the flow control manifold installed on the Command Stand (#1 in the photo below) or in the return point to the mash tun (#2 in the photo below):

BrewEasy.jpg

At the same time, I am not sure if this is the optimal place to put the temperature probe. This is because the BrewEasy is a K-RIMS system and it seems the universal consensus is that the proper place to put the probe in a RIMS system is at the outlet of the RIMS tube (which in this case would be the boil kettle's valve.) At the same time, the wort has to travel a long from the boil kettle valve back to the mash tun so the temperature of the wort will almost certainly drop by the time it returns to the mash tun. As a result, I am concerned that placing the probe at the boil kettle valve is suboptimal because it will lead to the actual mash temperature being lower than it should be. Does anybody have thoughts on where the optimal place to put the probe is, whether my concerns are merited, and how to address them if they are? Thanks!

The brewcommander has an offset value that allows you to compensate for what you expressed concerned about.

I go with the idea that you put the probe as close to the heat source as you can. Then use the offset to compensate for any loss of heat beyond that point.

You have to arrive at the offset value through testing and observation. Once you have that number dialed in, you have the convenience of thinking "I want 150 deg" and then you enter 150 deg.

Check with Blichmann tech support. I bet they have pretty good suggested value to start with.

I built my system based on the way the breweasy works and I have my temp probe in the mash return, right before it enters the mash tun. I then have a analog thermometer on my mash out so that I know the entire mash is at the same temp...going in as it is going out.

I have mine setup as in pic #1. The Brewvision in the mash tun is what I use to determine my mash temp and I adjust as need for the 2-3 degree temp loss I see from the BK to the MT. You can add an adjustment to the brew commander or just set mash temp a few degrees higher than you want.

Back