Blichman Beer Gun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedBrews

Reaction score
Hey HBT,

I spent untold hours debating, researching, shopping, and generally wanting but not buying Blichmann's beer gun. What I kept finding were descriptions of the precise alignment of stars that must be present in order to obtain a clean bottle fill. For the investment price I just couldn't justify what seemed like a finicky device, so I didn't buy it. A couple weeks ago a friend got out of brewing and sent me his so I finally had a chance to test it out.

My initial impressions are EXTREMELY positive. Here is a video of my second bottle fill ever (including an overfill and run-off due to user error). The tupperware had beer in it when I started from flushing the line.

https://goo.gl/photos/31C29HaDGqHjAVQM6

1. Hook Up - I pulled the ball lock from a IIPA on tap that had a fairly high carbonation level. No adjustment to the regulator, I left it at serving conditions of ~12psi 38F. I simply snapped on the gun with what looks like about 10' of line.

2. Bottle Prep - Bottles were at ~70F freshly shaken with StarSan but no other special treatment.

3. Filling Location - I filled on top of the keezer ~48" lift?

4. Filling Results - I bottled 6 stubby bottles (Alaskan Brewing) in a few minutes with almost no overflow. The fill levels were very close, and there was minimal beer loss to foam.

5. Cleanup - The biggest challenge was popping the retaining clip off of the end of the beer gun to allow free flow and dry storage. I worry a bit that the clip may become loose, and I'm not certain it even has to be removed for cleaning. Otherwise, just as easy as cleaning a bottle wand style BMBF on a cobra tap.

Summary:

The big question is if this thing is worth $100. I will update after I bottle a few more gallons, but for me I think it might be. I found it easier, cleaner, and faster than the "we don't need no stinking beer gun" approach with the added benefit of being able to direct CO2 purge the bottles.

I turn my Co2 pressure down to 5 psi when filling bottles using a beer gun. Any higher than that and the beer just gushes into the bottle way too fast. The latest beers that I bottled were carbonated to 12 psi and after reconnecting them to the taps once bottling was done they still had great carbonation.

I'm curious, what was your gas pressure set at for filling?

I bottled at ~12psi, the same as I have it set for serving. I expected to have to dial it back for a nice slow fill, but was pleasantly surprised. I think the long line combined with filling above the level of the keg helped slow the flow considerably.

@ScrewyBrewer is using the recommended approach of reducing the pressure to prevent foaming. If you have a second regulator it would be as easy as changing a second ball-lock.

Back