Blended starter, wlp300 and wlp380

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachmaelBenApplebaum

Reaction score
So I got a big order of wheat malt today, and I wanna make a hefe while temps in my house are cool (58-63) enough to produce what I want to make. However, I got all that malt and NO hefe yeast:drunk:. I have s-04, but that's for something else, and us-05, as well as plenty of belle saison. I've done saison for the last 3 brews I've made, and it's gettin a little old, but I have the yeast for it. So, I went digging in my archive of brews that I save from a each batch and dug up a bomber of plain-jane hefeweizen I made about 5 months ago with wlp300 and two bombers of roggenbier I made about 3 months ago with wlp380.

I've made a half gallon starter with about 1 cup of light dme and 1/4tsp go-ferm protect, let it cool, and have so far added the dregs on the wlp300 to it, I plan on adding the dregs from the other two bottles for the wlp380. Since these two are able to co-inoculate I figured it would be doable to culture up enough yeast slurry to ferment my soon-to-be batch. Question: a) After all that time in the bottle will it be viable? b)Will the dregs of three bombers be able to culture up to a high enough cell count to be just this side of underpitching?

Happy brewing :tank:

Latest posts

Back