Blended Brew w Brett B

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhay_x7

Reaction score
I wanted to try an experiment and I am not sure what is going on at this point. I made a 6 gallon APA and split the wort in half, one half was pitched with American Ale and the other with Brett B. 4 days into fermentation, I poured the American Ale, which was at the tail end of active fermentation, into the Brett infected wort. I wanted to see how the Brett reacts when introduced to this environment after given a chance to replicate without fighting with another yeast strain.

I blended them together a week ago and it went through another active fermentation but for three days now, it looks like this:

20131118_070307.jpg

The bubbles are not bursting and the airlock is barely moving, maybe an airlock bubble every 3 minutes. It looks very viscus and almost oily. Is it a pellicle trying to form over the krausen?

I'd say yes. I actually have something similar that just happened when I pitched a mixed culture that had been woken up in a low gravity starter. I had krausen and then it just turned into a pellicle.

Latest posts

Back