Blaugies Saison Dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaeltrego

Reaction score
I attempted to make a starter from the dregs of two bottles of Blaugies Saison D'Epeautre and it doesn't look quite right to me.

blaugies-dregs-65448.jpg

I began with the dregs from one bottle on the stirplate in a 100ml starter. Good activity within a day and a little krausen. Proceeded with adding the dregs from the second bottle and another 100ml of starter. Again, good activity and krausen after a day or two on the stirplate.

Then I stepped it up by adding 2L of starter and ran it another 2 days on the stirplate. There was not much noticeable gassing and no krausen. Took it off the stirplate to settle a bit (not yet cold crashed) and the picture above is the result. A lot of gray wispy matter, but it doesn't look like any yeast I have encountered before.

I am wary of using it since it didn't produce any krausen and looks a bit strange. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I've done this before and it's incredibly lumpy looking once it flocculates. I'd not worry about it. I also got very little krausen.

Mine worked quite similar to French Saison but I got a lot of banana but I'm convinced this was due to me getting a few other things wrong (too much yeast nutrient and not enough aeration).

I got a good ferment from it though with high attenuation and I'm going to try it again.

Latest posts

Back