blackberry wit... what to add??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregmosu

Reaction score
I want to do a 5 gallon batch of blackberry wit from extract. So far, here's my recipe:

6lbs Wheat DME
1/2 lb Wheat, 1/2 lb Oats
1oz Golding Hops, 1oz Saaz Hops
Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit

So now, the question is how much(and what) to add to the secondary.

I've been reading posts on here and there are so many variations. It seems like about 5 lbs of blackberries are what most people are adding. But I read that some people are adding orange and corriander. I also read on the side of a bottle that raspberries are used. Any ideas or suggestions?

Also, 1 week for primary and 2 weeks secondary or 2 weeks primary and 1 week secondary?

Thanks!

Usually when I do a fruit beer, I do 1 week in primary and 2 weeks in secondary. The 1 week in primary should raise the ABV enough that you don't need to heat up the fruit to kill bacteria. As far as how much to add, well that depends on what you want to do. The more fruit you add, the more cider-like your beer will be, I personally usually only do 2-3 pounds of fruit on a lower gravity beer like that one, but you may want to do more.

Be interesting, Wheat beer should be at least 40% malted barley, what is the Alpha on the hops 2 Oz is a lot for a wheat beer, your IBU should be under 20 if you want the fruit flavor to be the star. 2Lbs of fresh or frozen berries in the secondary for 2 weeks will give you the flavor (unless you want a sick sweet beer)

Be interesting, Wheat beer should be at least 40% malted barley, what is the Alpha on the hops 2 Oz is a lot for a wheat beer, your IBU should be under 20 if you want the fruit flavor to be the star. 2Lbs of fresh or frozen berries in the secondary for 2 weeks will give you the flavor (unless you want a sick sweet beer)

Def not.. I want something close to a hint of fruit. I think it will be ok. I made this once before and it isn't hoppy. Thanks for the advice... 2lbs sounds good to me.

Back