Black IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finsfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have some extra ingredients that id like to use this weekend and not sure if they will go good together or how much of each to use to make a nice brew. Heres what I got, I dont have to use it all in the recipe, but suggestions on what you think would turn out best. Doesnt have to be an IPA but I figured that was the easiest thing to make here. Thanks for any input.

10 lbs 6-row
3/4 lb chocolate malt
3/4 lb roasted barley
3/4 lb vienna
1/2 lb c-10
.55 lb english black malt
.45 lb flaked oats
.45 lb victory
1/3 lb lactose
15 oz simcoe

I will be using WLP080 cream ale yeast. It probably wont be a perfect style brew but I dont mind, just something out of the ordinary and tasty is fine with me :D

Given the amount of six-row you have and the cream ale yeast, you could try making a cream ale if you get your hands on some rice, corn, or oats.

You could also go in the milk stout direction. That might be good since it would cover the slightly less desirable six-row taste with roast.

I would probably avoid anything too "malty" in profile--a brown or amber, for example--because of the 6-row.

A black IPA could work too, but I'm personally not a big fan of the style and can't really seem to get the profile right. If it were me, I'd go for a stout.

With the chocolate malt and roasted barley that would be too roasty for a black IPA IMO. Looks like it would make a good milk stout with some extra lactose and different hops.

My only issue is I dont want to purchase anything further and trying to work with what I have. I will have .45lb flaked oats as well that I updated up top

You could always cut back on the amount of the roasted grains that you use to just enough to get your color right and then cold steep those grains in order to limit the roastiness and astringency that they have in that case.

You could always cut back on the amount of the roasted grains that you use to just enough to get your color right and then cold steep those grains in order to limit the roastiness and astringency that they have in that case.

Im not trying to use all the grains listed. I just need help coming up with a recipe that will work with the grains that I have. Doesnt have to be a black IPA but I thought that would work with the stuff I have.

Im not trying to use all the grains listed. I just need help coming up with a recipe that will work with the grains that I have. Doesnt have to be a black IPA but I thought that would work with the stuff I have.

Gotcha. I am on my work computer do I don't have access to my recipe software until tonight, but I am sure we can figure out a black IPA recipe with what you have. Or you could go with a stout. I can work a few things up this evening if you would like.

Gotcha. I am on my work computer do I don't have access to my recipe software until tonight, but I am sure we can figure out a black IPA recipe with what you have. Or you could go with a stout. I can work a few things up this evening if you would like.

That would be much appreciated. I am searching through the recipe database here now but havent come up with anything

That would be much appreciated. I am searching through the recipe database here now but havent come up with anything

Just saw the darth vader black IPa recipe and thought I might be able to modify it. How does this look?

10 lbs 6-row pale
.5 lb crystal 10L
.5 lb victory
.25 lb chocolate
.25 lb black malt

1 oz. (28 g) simcoe 60 min.
1 oz. (28 g) simcoe 10 min.
1 oz. (28 g) simcoe 5 min.
1 oz. (28 g) simcoe 0 min
1 oz. (28 g) simcoe dry hop

Just saw the darth vader black IPa recipe and thought I might be able to modify it. How does this look?

10 lbs 6-row pale
.5 lb crystal 10L
.5 lb victory
.5 lb chocolate
.25 lb black malt

1 oz. (28 g) simcoe 20 min.
1 oz. (28 g) simcoe 0 min

That looks like a good start, I would personally try to reduce that chocolate malt if possible and would also move that 20 min hop addition to 10 min, but that is based on my personal preferences

That looks like a good start, I would personally try to reduce that chocolate malt if possible and would also move that 20 min hop addition to 10 min, but that is based on my personal preferences

updated. How will this come out as to the OG? I want it to be atleast 5 or 6%. Should I add the 3/4 lb vienna to up the gravity or would that just make it too complex?

If you get 75% efficiency you will get 1.061 OG which would yeild approx 6%abv based on the recipe you posted. You could also add 1lb of simple sugar at the last 15 mins of the boil to bump the abv and help to dry it out some so the hops pop a little more.

If you get 75% efficiency you will get 1.061 OG which would yeild approx 6%abv based on the recipe you posted. You could also add 1lb of simple sugar at the last 15 mins of the boil to bump the abv and help to dry it out some so the hops pop a little more.

Thanks for all the help

anyone else have input on using any other ingredients that I listed in the OP?

10 lbs 6-row pale
.5 lb crystal 10L
.5 lb victory
.25 lb chocolate
.25 lb black malt

2 oz. (28 g) simcoe 0 min

anyone else have input on using any other ingredients that I listed in the OP?

10 lbs 6-row pale
.5 lb crystal 10L
.5 lb victory
.25 lb chocolate
.25 lb black malt

2 oz. (28 g) simcoe 0 min

Gonna brew this up on sunday using WLP080. I think I might up the dryhops to 2 oz though. Thanks to brewinhooligan for the recipe help! :rockin:

From one of my trusted sources (BYO, Zymurgy, Brewing Network) I recall hearing that doubling the amount of dry hops that go into an American IPA gives fantastic aroma characteristics. Just a thought since you have 15 oz. of Simcoe nectar.

From one of my trusted sources (BYO, Zymurgy, Brewing Network) I recall hearing that doubling the amount of dry hops that go into an American IPA gives fantastic aroma characteristics. Just a thought since you have 15 oz. of Simcoe nectar.

so maybe 4 oz? I could live with that :D

I use midnight wheat in my black IPA's instead of the black malt (usually about 8oz for a 5 gallon batch). Gives it a nice creamy head and gets the color you want.

I use midnight wheat in my black IPA's instead of the black malt (usually about 8oz for a 5 gallon batch). Gives it a nice creamy head and gets the color you want.

I will definitely have to try that next time. For this batch I am just using stuff that I have sitting around. Im hoping the WLP080 gives it a nice flavor but thats the whole fun of experimenting, im not sure whats gonna happen

Gonna brew this up on sunday using WLP080. I think I might up the dryhops to 2 oz though. Thanks to brewinhooligan for the recipe help! :rockin:

Sounds good and I agree that upping the dryhop sounds good. Keep us posted!

Brewing this up right now on a snowday. I added a half pound vienna and a little extra chocolate :)

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391535363.623939.jpg

Just checked on the brew. Chugging along nicely and sitting at a cozy 70 degrees in my cold basement. The fridge smells amazing from that wlp080. Cant wait for this one!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391696338.727755.jpg

Looking good! I bet that simcoe smells good through the airlock too :mug:

not getting any simcoe actually, all cream stout smell which is wonderful! I even upped the hop bill too. Added 7 oz in the boil

1 oz at 60
1 oz at 15
1 oz at 10
2 oz at 5
2 oz at 0

I plan to through a couple more ounces in there in a week or so. :D

Well I sent one of these off to the Great Arizona HB competition, and I just got my score sheets back today. I wasnt sure how well I liked the all simcoe, and their feedback helps to confirm my thoughts. The 1 oz of bitter hops was a lot and other 6 ounces for flavor and aroma were not enough. There wasnt a lot of hop flavor, but a lot of bitterness. With that said, this still scored a 33.5 which I was surprised and pleased with. All three judges said the base beer was good, but it need more hop flavor and aroma. Anyone thinking about doing a simcoe black IPA, please be advised that you should also add some other complimenting flavor and aroma hops to complete the beer. Thanks for everyone's help on this recipe.

Well I sent one of these off to the Great Arizona HB competition, and I just got my score sheets back today. I wasnt sure how well I liked the all simcoe, and their feedback helps to confirm my thoughts. The 1 oz of bitter hops was a lot and other 6 ounces for flavor and aroma were not enough. There wasnt a lot of hop flavor, but a lot of bitterness. With that said, this still scored a 33.5 which I was surprised and pleased with. All three judges said the base beer was good, but it need more hop flavor and aroma. Anyone thinking about doing a simcoe black IPA, please be advised that you should also add some other complimenting flavor and aroma hops to complete the beer. Thanks for everyone's help on this recipe.

Congrats on the positive feedback! Simcoe can be a little rough on it's own but if you add some Amarillo something magical happens, at least in my opinion.

Back