Black IPA recipe criticism

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madmannvan

Reaction score
I haven't brewed a black IPA I over a year. I drank one the other night and it reminded my how much I love thee so decided why not brew one. I through a quick recipe together today and would like some criticism weather or not it will work or no and how to make it better.

I have American ale 2, Conan, 1318, west coast ipa, and imperial juice for possible yeasts.

The 1 min hop addition is flame out and the 0 min would be a whirlpool

Here is the recipe and it's for 3.5 gallon all grain. Cheers
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1489007391.276190.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1489007416.501917.jpg

Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous recipe is purported to be 90% 2-row, 5% C60, 5% dehusked carafa III. Maybe due to the English yeast they use it comes out plenty malty for me. I think you are asking for trouble with carafa II - the dehusked version is critical to keep the roast flavors from competing with the hops. I also think C120 and the candi sugar are probably going to bring too much to the party, you want the hops to shine through.

Thanks I actually thought I'd put carafa III on there must have hit the wrong button. I'll drop the c120 down to c60.

I guess it depends on what you like about a black IPA. Your looks to me like an IPA with black for color but not the maltiness that I like in my black IPA.

This is from a microbrewery and their black IPA is one of their best sellers.

Vienna - 49%
Honey Malt - 30%
Crystal 60 - 9.5%
Crystal 120 - 9.5%
Black Prinz - 1%
Debittered black malt - 1%

As you can see it a lot more sweet and malty. But still has hops to push 64 IBU. That sweet and malty mixed with the hop bitter is what I like about a black IPA

But brew to your pallet. I know that is why I brew.

Thanks I actually thought I'd put carafa III on there must have hit the wrong button. I'll drop the c120 down to c60.

The key is there are two different malts
Weyermann® CARAFA® Type 3
Weyermann® CARAFA® Special Type 3 (dehusked)

You want the special type 3

haha at least that is what I want ... to me with plain Carafa 3 it is a hoppy stout. Might be nice but not a Black IPA. Actually I really can't stand them.

TBH my best attempts at they style used Maltoferm® A-6001 DME and a regular IPA grain bill. I think it comes in at 3500 Lovibond and you can color any beer black with almost no flavor contribution.

I'd use carafa special 3 not more than 5% of the grist and all the specialty malts on the vorlauf just to add color not complexity.

Personally i would replace the oats with flaked rye, and mash a tad higher at about 152. And i wouldnt use the conan yeast, i think it will dry it out too much, maybe the American Ale 2.

Back