bj's honey??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steved26

Reaction score
I am just getting into making mead, so I know the better the honey the better the mead. I have started a joam. I used a honey that I found in bj's.

Wellsley Farms Pure Honey
100% pure honey
Contains natural pollen
Kosher
All-natural
730-day shelf life
Extra Light Amber
Includes 3 lbs. of honey

has anyone ever used this honey? will it turn out ok?

http://www.bjs.com/wellsley-farms-pure-honey--3-lbs-.product.3000000000000160871

thanks

I'd be weary of honey from BJs. Probably not pure at best and might even not be honey at worst. There are so many fake or diluted honeys on the market right now. Not saying it would necessarily affect the flavor.

The FDA does not do a good job regulating the honey market, and natural has almost no meaning or standing behind it in the food industry

I agree that "natural" does not mean very much but 100% pure honey does, though I don't know how much adulteration can be applied for a product to still be "100% pure." But that said, this is for a JAOM, and JAOM is not really dependent - as far as I know -on quality varietal honey. It's designed to be fermented with bread yeast, and that is not a yeast noted for highlighting the fruity notes in a wine - or indeed, enhancing any notes in a wine... steved26, I would say go for it. You have nothing to lose and much to gain.

i bought 9 lbs of the honey. i have 1 gal jaom which i followed the instructions with the bread yeast. and i have 2 other 1 gallons which i used 71b-1122 yeast that 1 is going to be a cherry Melomel and turn the other into a peach melomel. in the mean time i am looking into local honey for larger batches..
thanks

I am actually in Philadelphia pa. thanks for the link, as that's only about 1.5 hrs from me.
thanks

Funny how this was just posted about a week ago as I was just in BJ's two days ago and saw the pricing for their 3 lb containers and thought, "Could I use this to make mead?" I literally logged on right now and did a search for "Wellsley" to see if anyone else had posted about it!

I am new to mead making... have my very first batch it secondary right now. The price at BJ's is so good that I would like to try it. What's the worst that could happen???

So, to revisit this thread... I purchased the 3 pounds of the Wellsley brand honey from BJ's and did my first batch of JAOM. I just bottled it but tasted a few ounces first. Tasted pretty good to me. I'm not experienced in mead tasting or mead making, but I did like it. Now we will see what happens with age.

Latest posts

Back