BJCP Guideline Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GatorBeer

Reaction score
I brewed a berliner weisse recently and it is quite delicious and I want to enter it in a competition. I want to give it justice so I want to enter in the appropriate category

A few problems making me think it won't do well:
-I added raspberries in a secondary and it is now pink colored (BJCP berliner color is 'straw colored'), but they don't come through in taste at all.
-It is VERY sour. It was my first time sour mashing and I went overboard. (BJCP berliner description is 'tart')

I can't put it in the Fruit category because you don't taste or smell raspberries at all. I'm afraid that in the Berliner Weisse category it will get docked for color and sourness. Can I put this in the specialty category as 'Extra sour berliner weisse' or something to that effect? Or should I just roll with berliner, take the points for color and move on.

Split it and enter it in both categories. Might consider adding just a touch of raspberry flavoring to half of it or try a drop per bottle? Needless to say you will get docked points for color in the one category but wont in the other. But, if the flavor of fruit doesn't shine through you'll get docked in the fruit category. sounds like a great beer! Don't get discouraged... Many GREAT beers do poorly in comps due to the guidelines. People drink what they like, not what category it falls in. :)

Split it and enter it in both categories. Might consider adding just a touch of raspberry flavoring to half of it or try a drop per bottle? Needless to say you will get docked points for color in the one category but wont in the other. But, if the flavor of fruit doesn't shine through you'll get docked in the fruit category. sounds like a great beer! Don't get discouraged... Many GREAT beers do poorly in comps due to the guidelines. People drink what they like, not what category it falls in. :)

This! Great advice all around, IMO!

Back