BJCP Exam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erichsmith

Reaction score
I'm confirmed to take the BJCP exam in May. I've been wait listed four times but now I'm in. I've been studying the style guidelines been brewing for 18 years and even entered and won some competitions. I still don't know what to expect and some pointers and study help would be great.

The BJCP is pretty explicit about what to expect, see the exam center.

If you're taking the tasting exam you will be sampling 6 different styles from almost the whole Guidelines range (excepting specialty etc). You'll fill scoresheets as you would in a competition and those will be graded, with equal weight (20%) for Scoring accuracy, perception, descriptive ability, feedback, completeness/communication. Sometime within 6 months you'll probably hear back with your score and written feedback.

If you've never tested before: Enter competitions and get used to filling out scoresheets at about 10 minutes per. Make sure you know all the prompts to address (malt, hops, yeast, balance, bitterness, finish etc.). Then use Classic Styles and the BJCP guidelines to really learn the breakdown and differences of styles according to the BJCP. Let your 18 years of experience help provide feedback and a solid "overall impression" of the beers you sample. Good luck!

I'm confirmed to take the BJCP exam in May. I've been wait listed four times but now I'm in. I've been studying the style guidelines been brewing for 18 years and even entered and won some competitions. I still don't know what to expect and some pointers and study help would be great.

1) Practice filling out the scoresheets with some of the commercial examples that the BCJP lists under their "classic style" examples. Work on your vocabulary and make sure that you're filling out each section fully and with good descriptors and try to work on scoring as well.

2) Be knowledgeable about the beer styles. You don't need to know the exact details like SG/OG for a particular style, but you should be knowledgeable about each style. For example, you should know that a wit beer has orange peel in it. (This is an actual example from my tasting exam).

3) If you have the opportunity get yourself to a few competitions and volunteer as a judge or steward.

Good luck!

Im gearing up by drinking all styles in the BJCP. This advice is great but I wont be doing any testing until 2015. ive got a year to prep, read and taste. Good luck hope you do well.

Latest posts

Back