BJCP category question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Group W

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an American Imperial Stout recipe that’s about 8.5% ABV. This is usually entered in BJCP category 20C.

If milk lactose is added (~5%) what BJCP category should/could this milk stout be entered under?

Thanks

Potentially 34B. Mixed Style Beer - American Sweet Stout with Imperial Stout. "This style is intended for combinations of existing styles (Classic Beers or Specialty-Type) that are not defined elsewhere in the guidelines. If a ‘mixed-style beer’ does fit another style, do not enter it here."

Potentially 34B. Mixed Style Beer - American Sweet Stout with Imperial Stout. "This style is intended for combinations of existing styles (Classic Beers or Specialty-Type) that are not defined elsewhere in the guidelines. If a ‘mixed-style beer’ does fit another style, do not enter it here."
Thanks for the response. I was thinking about those “catch-all” categories. I’m not big on lactose additions, and may never go ahead with it, but might get a wild hair some day and thought brewers here might have experience with it.

Always enter based how it is *perceived*, not what was done or how it was intended. Unless the contribution of the lactose is quite significant and throws the balance to significantly sweet, I would enter as regular Imperial Stout. At 5% lactose I doubt that's the case.

If it's a *significant* contribution, I would consider entering 31B Alternative Sugar Beer.

Back