bittering hops v aroma hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLivermore

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a kit.

Instructions --

Add 1 oz Willamette Bittering hops
Boil 55 mins
Add 1 oz Wilamette Aroma hops
Boil final 5 minutes

Please see attached photo; I cannot tell these apart. Am I insane or are these 2 packs of the same thing?

photo.JPG

You are not insane. They are the same thing.

In the recipe, "Bittering" and "Aroma" just indicates how the hops are being used, not what type of hops are being used. All hops can be used for either bittering or aroma, although some are better used for one purpose or another.

Bittering hops refers to the hops you add within the first 15 minutes of the boil (i.e. the 60 to 45 minute additions.)

Aroma hops refers to the hops you add with less than 15 minutes left in the boil (i.e. the 15 to zero minute additions. Zero minute addition also known as "flameout addition.")

Sometimes you'll see "flavor additions" which is very ambiguous but usually refers to hops added sometime between the 45 minute mark and the 15 minute mark.

YES, they are the exact same thing. When a recipe refers to bittering and aroma hops, that has to do with when the hops are added during brewing... Hops added at the beginning of the boil are used for bittering. Hops added at the end of the boil are for aroma/flavor. It seems that your recipe calls for Willamette hops to be used for both bittering and aroma.

There are some hop varieties that are primarily used for bittering, and some that are primarily used for aroma/flavoring. Some hops are better suited for bittering uses, and some are better for aroma/flavor, but any variety of hops can be used for either one.

Thank you so much for the quick reply!

I was quite worried.

So add hops, boil 55 min, add MORE (of the same) hops, 5 mins, done.

Back