Bittering hop for IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennahighlandbrew

Reaction score
I'm messing around with a new recipe tomorrow and I'm trying to decide between using a package of German Magnum or Columbus for my bittering hops. I've got enough of each where I can comfortably spare them, but I just want something smooth and in the background. I'm only planning to use one bittering addition at FWH/60 minutes, with everything else whirlpooled at flameout. My question to you all is this: should I use the ounce of Magnum or Columbus? I've used Columbus for bittering before, but I've heard Magnum is a good bittering hop, as well. Thanks in advance for the benefit of experience!

I like Magnum, seems to be a nice clean bittering hop. Also Nugget...

I usually don't use "bittering" hops for my IPA's... I prefer hops like Citra, Mosaic, Simcoe etc. which are all above 10% AA - for example, my last batch which is the best DIPA I've made. I used 200gr(7 ounces?) of Citra boiled for 9 minutes, gave me 89 IBU and then chill below 80° celsius(176 fahrenheit?) then lots in hop stand and then dryhop, gave me the bitterness I seek but more flavor and aroma

Back