Bitter/sour Hefe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldskewl

Reaction score
I recently brewed a NB Hefe All Grain kit. It gave off quite a lot of sulfur smell for about 2-3 days. On day 11 I transferred to a keg, but upon opening the fermenter it had quite a lot of sulfur smell still. I totally forgot to take a final gravity reading. I then cold crashed it in my fermentation chamber at 40F for 8 days(waiting on a keg to kick). I tapped it this morning and took a sample. It smells of banana(and a little sulfur) and tastes rather bitter/sour. Upon searching, several people have experienced this and say letting it age or condition for another week or 2 should mellow/balance things out. Should I let it sit in the kegerator chilled and hooked up to the gas? Or should I remove it and condition at room temps?

That happens with my Belgian Trippel, and it's the yeast... until I purchased my fermentation fridge, I just let the batch sit in secondary for another 3 weeks. I don't keg, but I'd think that keeping it cold and on gas would clear it. As for the taste... wheat will give a sweet/tart taste depending on the ratio of wheat to pale or pilsen malt. Did you hit your OG? Change hop schedule?

The recipe was 5.5# pale wheat and 4# German Pilsner. I did not change up the hop schedule. 1oz German tettnang @ 60 min. I hit the OG fine, but for the first time I completely forgot to take a FG reading. Active fermentation appeared to be over in 3-4 days and I kegged at 11 days. After seeing Ed Worts Hefe recipe which is very similar and he kegs on day 10 I thought I should be good. But I am guessing at a 66 degree fermentation the yeast needed a couple more days to clean things up. I did pull the keg from the kegerator to get it to room temp to help with the conditioning. I'll probably put it back on the tap later in the week and see if it improves. Thanks for ideas.

Back