Bit of a noob question... can I take top off co2 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bayern1987

Reaction score
I've recently got myself a kegging setup... and a fridge... only thing is it is a very tight fit.... and I don't have room outside to store the co2 cylinder.... basically... see the black bit on top of the cylinder above where you turn it on, the thing you hold to carry it around... is it safe to screw this off and still use the cylinder as normal? Just incase it sealed the tank. Thanks :)

Attachments

• 20210428_111457.jpg
    20210428_111457.jpg
    583 KB · Views: 49
That protects the knob in case it falls. Technically it will still work, and as long as it stays upright, it will be safe to operate. If however the knob/valve get damaged (typically due to a fall) the results could be the tank acting as a rocket.

Short answer is you can take it off and everything will work. For safety reasons, you should leave it in place.

From what I've seen, steel tanks don't have a handle, neither do 5# and smaller aluminum tanks. Only larger aluminum ones, 15# and over, seem to have that handle. Not sure about 10# tanks, they may or may not come with a handle.

It's just a carrying handle, but I agree with the added protection to the valve, which could also be provided by wrapping a strip of bubble wrap around the valve making a 3-4" thick cushion, taped down to the tank.

My 20 lb tank does not have a handle or guard for the valve and gauges . When I exchange the tank the company has no guards like an oxygen tank , just carry it around by the valve .

It seems like its just the 20lb beverage gas tanks that have these, at least around here. I never got a similar size welding gas tank with one but those have always had a screw on cap that covers the whole valve for transport. I also bought a "newly refurbished" steel tank that didn't have one. My gas supplier swapped it out for an aluminum one that does.

1620043306110.png

My tank it outside my fridge. As soon as the desk it's standing on it moved, I intend on fitting a hook to the fridge's side so I can hang the tank on that. Outside is nicer, the pressure in the tank drops if it's super cold and I hate the condensation on my regulator.

Latest posts

Back