Biggest Obstacle Stopping You from Going Pro?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your BIGGEST Obstacle to going pro is?

• Money, like everything else in life

• Too many rules, regulations, taxes, paperwork and licenses

• Can't get (necessary) buy-in from another party

• Not skilled enough yet, but will go pro one day

• I can't keep my garage clean, let alone a brewery

• I have NO desire to go pro, but love to share my homebrews

Results are only viewable after voting.
Besides the listed cons, add dealing with drunks and cleaning bathrooms if your brewery includes a bar.

For those who said they might if they won the lottery: If I won, having any kind of job is not on the list!!!!!!!

Money for me. The dream is a brew pub with live music. The problem is mostly money, and finding a partner to do the resteraunt part cuz I don't wanna do any of that. I just want a really cool place to hang out for the community. My area isn't saturated at all. The town next to me has 2 breweries. One is Anheiser-busch, the other sucks. What kills me is that the one that sucks is packed every weekend and sells out. It's not just me that thinks their beer is sub-par, but it just shows that the area isn't saturated if people are willing to go to a sub-par brew pub. NH has a good amount of really good breweries, but I know down south here there is room for more.

I'll stick to working on recipes and getting feedback from whoever wants a free pint until I can maybe make something happen.

For me, its a combination of wanting to keep my 8 to 5 day job and the whole licensing crap. I live in KY where the local statutes dont even mention the word "homebrewing." all our alcohol regulations are strict and are in place mainly to protect the bourbon industry...

I've gotten pretty chummy with some of the local breweries here though and regularly bring them beer to sample. I've been wondering, if a keg of mine happened to show up in the walk-in cooler one day, could they serve it? I wouldnt be looking for any sort of compensation other than my name on the tap...

I own a commercial property outright and its right across the street from my house. If I had the cash, I'd start a nano as a monetized hobby and keep my day job. Supply just a couple of taps at certain bars. No tasting room. 4k square feet and use most of it for a couple sour soleras in large foudres and stainless.

No plans for growth until I retire and turn it into a thursday-Sunday nano brew pub when I retire.

Ya'll should see my garage....evidence of way too many hobbies.

I brew ok beer but not pro quality....not that others don't make $ selling brews of lesser quality.

My daughter graduated UCSB a couple years ago and has landed a good gig with the state, but is miserable working in a box. She desperately wants to work in the beer industry and is looking at the Fermentation program at UCD. So maybe someday I'll have an "in" and be able to play with big toys.

If there's any pros in the Sacramento area that need free labor, my daughter would love a hook up! Super reliable, smart and social.

I've gotten pretty chummy with some of the local breweries here though and regularly bring them beer to sample. I've been wondering, if a keg of mine happened to show up in the walk-in cooler one day, could they serve it? I wouldnt be looking for any sort of compensation other than my name on the tap...

Not unless they wanted to risk losing their license. I'm sure you wouldn't want to put their license in jeopardy either, so if you want a beer on tap and you're "chummy" just ask if you can scale up one of your recipes that they like and brew it with them.

Ya'll should see my garage....evidence of way too many hobbies.

I brew ok beer but not pro quality....not that others don't make $ selling brews of lesser quality.

My daughter graduated UCSB a couple years ago and has landed a good gig with the state, but is miserable working in a box. She desperately wants to work in the beer industry and is looking at the Fermentation program at UCD. So maybe someday I'll have an "in" and be able to play with big toys.

If there's any pros in the Sacramento area that need free labor, my daughter would love a hook up! Super reliable, smart and social.

Go Gauchos!!!! :rockin:

For me, the fact it is not a business is what keeps it fun. Beware the "I'm a good cook, I should open a restaurant" temptation.

My 2 favorite hobbies are fishing and homebrewing. I have a feeling that if I went pro in either of them, it would cease to be fun and become work. No reason I should feel stress from fishing or brewing.

I have thought about helping out in a brewery as a semi-retirement type job though someday. Not a lot of stress because I wouldn't be the one making the decisions and worry about the business. There was a small brewery up near our lake place in Walker, MN, but that has disappeared :(

The feasibility of running a weekend/evening only brewery by myself or finding a partner I can trust to help. I love the look on other's faces as they try my beer and are surprised with its quality. While my career is very successful now I do think think when I get a solid retirement established I would consider opening a brewery to keep me occupied in retirement.

Industry is booming here in Ireland so I think it's a great time to get in. However I lack the capital and experience to start a brewery.

Flipside:
Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

What if you love heroin?

What if you love art history? Well, I suppose it's actually true in that case. Not because you love your job, but because you're unemployable.

This is one of those trite clichés that high school guidance counsellors like to trot out to students. The truth is, pick a career that pays well, that you are good at, and that you find tolerable or even somewhat enjoyable. Keep your hobbies just that. Hobbies.

The feasibility of running a weekend/evening only brewery by myself or finding a partner I can trust to help. I love the look on other's faces as they try my beer and are surprised with its quality. While my career is very successful now I do think think when I get a solid retirement established I would consider opening a brewery to keep me occupied in retirement.

100% this. My thoughts exactly.

What if you love heroin?

What if you love art history? Well, I suppose it's actually true in that case. Not because you love your job, but because you're unemployable.

This is one of those trite clichés that high school guidance counsellors like to trot out to students. The truth is, pick a career that pays well, that you are good at, and that you find tolerable or even somewhat enjoyable. Keep your hobbies just that. Hobbies.

Apparently, a lot of people make a lot of money in heroin. I've never seen it as a job opportunity. Or very enticing at all.

Art History could get you a job as a bloviating professor, easy, lucrative, waste of taxpayer dollars in many cases. But prof is happy :)

While I understand your take...
There are many pulling it off, doing what they love.

Thanks to a change in California laws....I run a "community based, non-commercial brewery":D Basically the law allows me to donate beer to non profit events where they can sell my beer. It makes me very popular around town! I donate the beer and sell "brewery" merchandise to recover my costs and even make a little money. The great part is that I get to play "pro brewer" at various events without ever have to deal with all the BS that goes along with a commercial brewery. Always great to see people's look of disbelief when I tell them the beer they are raving about is brewed in my back garage!!

Combination of money and regulations. You need to build the brewery and invest a lot of money before you even get to find if your license is approved! There is quite a long lag time between your initial cash outlays and your first cash receipts; it would make me very nervous holding the bag for that long.

1) Haven't won the lottery yet.
2) Once I do win the lottery, I'm going to spend most of that money hiring someone to slap a whole mess of people here at HBT. Don't ask.

I'd love to see that list, because I'm pretty sure we all have one.

Feel free to ignore me if I'm on said list.

For now, I can "teach" brewing and charge for the class then give the beer away. $15 a person 20 people, 300 clams is a good four hours.

Thanks to a change in California laws....I run a "community based, non-commercial brewery":D Basically the law allows me to donate beer to non profit events where they can sell my beer. It makes me very popular around town! I donate the beer and sell "brewery" merchandise to recover my costs and even make a little money. The great part is that I get to play "pro brewer" at various events without ever have to deal with all the BS that goes along with a commercial brewery. Always great to see people's look of disbelief when I tell them the beer they are raving about is brewed in my back garage!!

And that law completely screwed up some parts of the annual National Homebrewers Conference & Competition that will be in San Diego next week.

We can't bring homebrew to the banquet because it's being catered by Lagunitas. Certain parts of the conference will be designated for serving homebrew only, and certain parts for serving commercial only. What a cluster %@&#@$&. It may make the AHA rethink having NHC in California again.

And that law completely screwed up some parts of the annual National Homebrewers Conference & Competition that will be in San Diego next week.

We can't bring homebrew to the banquet because it's being catered by Lagunitas. Certain parts of the conference will be designated for serving homebrew only, and certain parts for serving commercial only. What a cluster %@&#@$&. It may make the AHA rethink having NHC in California again.

That doesn't sound like that big of a deal to me.

I'd say money is my biggest obstacle, followed by the fact that I know nothing about business. I've read that you have to be a business person first and a brewer second. That is not me and I'm definitely not a marketing type or a super social type either. I like my brew days to be alone and I brew for me and no one else.

I do sort of have an opportunity to open something up though. A friend of mine just bought a building and has an open commercial space, cheap rent ($600/month) and would make a quaint little brewpub. But of course, money is an inhibitor as well as turning a hobby into a job.

Having said all that, I am not a fan of my current job either.

That doesn't sound like that big of a deal to me.

I guess I have a different perspective.

It's kind of a big deal to thousands of homebrewers in this state. The law was well intentioned, and seen as a loophole by a few, and therefore has already undergone clarification. It's affected thousands of us and one of the best homebrew festivals in the country already. (Edited for clarity, it cancelled the 2014 SoCal Homebrew Festival, and has moved it to a place that makes it much less accessible for homebrewers across the state in 2015 and going forward)

I really don't see how more loophole discussion about that law can be anything but bad for homebrewers in this state. It's become a pandora's box that way.

It's a hobby. If I went pro, assuming I had the financial resources to do it, it would cease being a hobby and become a job. I already have a job, which probably pays better anyway.

I'm of the ilk that thinks if you attach a time card to pretty much anything, it'll start to suck.

I picked taxes and regulations because I think that's what would really spoil the fun, but this is what it really comes down to. I have that one friend (don't we all?) that when we get to drinking a little too much, he gets to scheming: "dude, look at all these other breweries opening up. How hard can it be? We can do this. We'll do a Kickstarter, we'll [insert scheme]. WE CAN DO THIS."

He's enthusiastic for sure, but I don't know how much he or my other friends understand about the process, especially all the red tape outside the actual brewing process. I don't even really invite the above-mentioned guy to brew day anymore, because he just drinks a couple beers, gets bored, then wants to go elsewhere and "do something". When I try to offer some insight into all the gruntwork and headaches that would actually go into opening a brewery, they blow it off, so I'm sure to them it's still at the fantasy stage of "Make beer. ????? PROFIT!!"

I like brewing, but I like doing it on my own terms. The instant I have to stop brewing what I want and start brewing what the public wants, the instant it stops being a hobby and starts being a job, I fear I'll hate it.

I guess I have a different perspective.

It's kind of a big deal to thousands of homebrewers in this state. The law was well intentioned, and seen as a loophole by a few, and therefore has already undergone clarification. It's affected thousands of us and one of the best homebrew festivals in the country already. (Edited for clarity, it cancelled the 2014 SoCal Homebrew Festival, and has moved it to a place that makes it much less accessible for homebrewers across the state in 2015 and going forward)

I really don't see how more loophole discussion about that law can be anything but bad for homebrewers in this state. It's become a pandora's box that way.

Maybe you can point me to a link that further explains how it is awful. I'm not seeing how designating certain parts of a conference or event as "homebrew only" and certain parts of a conference or event as "commercial beer only" is a real problem.

I had a good buddy, the first time he tried my Russian Imperial, he got pumped.

"Dude, why the f### aren't you a pro brewer. Why the f### don't you open a brewery?"

my reply was, "You open a brewery and hire me for a guaranteed salary no matter what your investment pays off. Pay me every week and I'll brew all day long for you."

He got so excited, being a marketing type guy, coming up with labels, names, catch phrases, you name it. He brought all this over and we had a good time talking and 'dreaming.' He kept saying, "We can do this. Money is money, but you're a good brewer with good recipes."

I tried to tell him that five gallons in an orange cooler is a world away from production levels. He didn't give up the dream until he started looking into taxes, laws, codes, all that fun stuff. He still loves my beer, but we've given up talking about a brewery.

Maybe you can point me to a link that further explains how it is awful. I'm not seeing how designating certain parts of a conference or event as "homebrew only" and certain parts of a conference or event as "commercial beer only" is a real problem.

Have you been to an NHC?

Have you been to an NHC?

No. That doesn't answer my question. I've been to events where both commercial breweries were serving beer and homebrew clubs were serving beer. The homebrew clubs had a tent and people were allowed to have homebrews inside the tent. The rest of the place was commercial beer only areas. Worked just fine.

No. That doesn't answer my question. I've been to events where both commercial breweries were serving beer and homebrew clubs were serving beer. The homebrew clubs had a tent and people were allowed to have homebrews inside the tent. The rest of the place was commercial beer only areas. Worked just fine.

NHC isn't just a beer festival; it's a conference, a gathering, a banquet, a ceremony, a club night, etc.....and has ~3,500+ attendees for multiple days.

Wanna go hear a presentation about mead making, while sharing some of your homemade mead (and comparing it with a commercial example) with a friend you met at NHC last year? Well, forget about it - that room is commercial only.

Want to bring some Pliny to Club Night to share with people from around the country that can't get Pliny? Nope - can't happen.

Wanna share some homebrews at the ~4 hour long banquest and awards ceremony? Nope, sorry - designated commercial serving only.

NHC isn't just a beer festival; it's a conference, a gathering, a banquet, a ceremony, a club night, etc.....and has ~3,500+ attendees for multiple days.

Wanna go hear a presentation about mead making, while sharing some of your homemade mead (and comparing it with a commercial example) with a friend you met at NHC last year? Well, forget about it - that room is commercial only.

Want to bring some Pliny to Club Night to share with people from around the country that can't get Pliny? Nope - can't happen.

Wanna share some homebrews at the ~4 hour long banquest and awards ceremony? Nope, sorry - designated commercial serving only.

Yeah, none of those situations really scream out "injustice" to me.

Sounds like you guys want to be able to indirectly sell homebrew via non-profit charity functions and also not be limited by anything at the same time.

Yeah, none of those situations really scream out "injustice" to me.

Sounds like you guys want to be able to indirectly sell homebrew via non-profit charity functions and also not be limited by anything at the same time.

No, I think indirectly selling homebrew should be illegal in all cases.

I'm just pissed that this new law is messing with NHC, while making it sorta legal to kinda sell homebrew indirectly under the guise of charity.

I suppose I maybe could, but that seems like an unreasonable thing to do with my time at this juncture.

Latest posts

Back