big & tall clothes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbonzx

Reaction score
Im 6' 4" and i always have an extremely hard time finding clothes that fit right and look good. Everytime i buy 2xl it either looks like a tent or shrinks in my wash to above my waist and then i dont even want to wear it because it looks funny. Where do other tall guys shop? i dont have a huge selection in my area..

If you're looking for something nice and have the scratch I can't recommend Jos. A Bank enough because they do have custom shirt sizes. I was able to get an 18 1/2 inch neck shirt with the exact right size sleeves. Men's Warehouse is also solid.

As far as T-shirts go though, those are a crap shoot. I have 2XL shirts that are dresses on me and other ones that are skin tight. If a site posts their sizing chart I like to have my own measurements to make sure they fit well, so that's my best bet. For example, because of my size I have to be very careful ordering soccer jerseys because 2X could be European then I'd be really screwed.

:/ jos a bank isnt quite my style and niether is mens warehouse especially since shirts avg like $70 bucks. Im 24 and not really trying for the young professional look lol.

Fair enough. I'm 25 and have a blend of the young professional look but I still hold onto my band tees and beer tees. I would recommend what I suggested in the second half then, take your measurements or get them done by someone who really knows what they're talking about and order from places that do sizing. Or avoid shrinkable materials (or compensate) like cotton, linen, or silk or buy pre-shrunk versions that and try the shirts on.

I have been dealing with sizing issues like you for some time, I'm basically the same height and have a barrel for a rib cage and broad shoulders so for me buying clothes is hit or miss so I usually go for something with detailed sizing information, or I suck it up and pay the premium for what you get at a big box store or department store but get to try them on.

What kinda shirts are you lookign for specifically?

You need 2xT not 2xL :)

Some folks have a long torso, some folks have long legs. I'm 6'3" and have the same issues, I can wear an XT but need a 3XL to get the appropriate torso length, which ends up looking stupid baggy through the arms and shoulders.

I guess thats kind of a hard question to answer since i have never really stuck to any particular style but i really could use some long/short sleeve button downs, some polos, and some decent looking casual tshirts without being cheesy. Im a skinny guy but i guess i have a long torso so thats where my issue is. I have wasted hundreds on clothes that i only wear a few times before they shrink or look funny... Its getting old.

I guess thats kind of a hard question to answer since i have never really stuck to any particular style but i really could use some long/short sleeve button downs, some polos, and some decent looking casual tshirts without being cheesy. Im a skinny guy but i guess i have a long torso so thats where my issue is. I have wasted hundreds on clothes that i only wear a few times before they shrink or look funny... Its getting old.

I have a long torso as well.

But I'd recommend checking the material and trying them on. Also when you try on a shirt I always recommend seeing what happens when you raise your arms from straight down cause odds are they won't be at your sides all the time. I learned that one the hard way haha.

Or purchase clothes that 2XLT as was stated earlier since they're an inch or 2 longer. destinationxl.com has a bunch of different brands with xlt sizing.

I wish I was that small.

I'm 6'5", 3XL, with a size 16 shoe.

Sure the Big & Tall stores are a rip off, but here's a tip. If you know your EXACT measurements you can buy online for a fraction of what you'll pay in the brick & mortar store.

I've found Dockers online at JCPenny in my size for $23. Never in the store. Google is your friend.

If you just need longer shirts then I recommend Duluth trading co. They have long tail t shirts that are 3 inches longer than normal shirts. Sizing seems to run true if you follow their guides. Best of luck.

Do you have a big college close? There is a regular mens clothing (not causal male xl) in a small town near me that clothes the U of Illinois football and basketball teams. They have available up to size 70T suits. Obviously they have suits, but they carry polos, Tee's, button downs etc, and they have good prices.

If you have a big school close, those players are getting clothes from somewhere usually local ask around.

You might also try paul fredrick, I used to get their catalog, but have never ordered from there, so I cant speak to their quality, but prices seamed reasonable. Maybe someone else here has experience with them. http://www.paulfredrick.com/Catalog/PFProducts.aspx?category=Dress_Shirts;clearance=No;&mn=root_ds

I'm 6'7" and 3 bills. Long torso. I have found JCPenny's carries the most clothing choices out there at the best prices.

You should be looking for "XLT" tags. For example I wear a 3XLT shirt. The XLT gives you about 4 more inches in length in the body of the shirt.

Don't know where you live but Fred Meyers in the PNW also has a good selection of big guy clothes that don't have that "look" that you are referring to. I know what you mean about how some big and tall clothes "look" and I am in my 50's and they still look old to me.

Most of my dress shirts + polo shirts come from JCPenney, ONLINE (not in the store, they never have them). Penney's has EXTRA-TALL (Like XL-TT) that I use and at 6'4", the shirt tails are below my bum. I wear a 18x36-Tall (or extra tall) and it fits quite nicely. I usually get those dress shirts for $20ish, around $15 for the polo shirts when they're on sale.

MC

I'm only five eleven but have ridiculous shoulders. Dealt withvthe same thing till I discovered tailors. Find the twenty buck shirt that fits like a tent and have it tailored. Mine charges between five and ten to bring it in. The shirt can either be darted (Google darted shirts) or the side seams can be altered. I buy thrift store shirts and have this done. Remember that going in is usually easier than letting it out. Its well worth the money and people have much more respect when your clothes fit.

I'm only five eleven but have ridiculous shoulders. Dealt withvthe same thing till I discovered tailors. Find the twenty buck shirt that fits like a tent and have it tailored. Mine charges between five and ten to bring it in. The shirt can either be darted (Google darted shirts) or the side seams can be altered. I buy thrift store shirts and have this done. Remember that going in is usually easier than letting it out. Its well worth the money and people have much more respect when your clothes fit.

Ever tried athletic fit?

MC

Good advice guys i think im going to have to have a taylor take my measurements since i have no idea what they are and then shop online or try my luck at jcp every time i pass it.
I only have a few big box stores around here, kohls, kmart, walmart, and target.

Good advice guys i think im going to have to have a taylor take my measurements since i have no idea what they are and then shop online or try my luck at jcp every time i pass it.
I only have a few big box stores around here, kohls, kmart, walmart, and target.

I am 6'2 and wear a 52T sport coat 38" waist, Shirts are 18 Neck 37 sleeve and need a tall to keep tucked in. I have trouble buying in penneys, but sometimes they can order in. Shirts you may have better luck with, but sport coats or suits are slim pickens in my opinion

Even short and small folks have problems getting good fits. I'm 5'8" but my neck is 17.5 - so a dress shirt with the correct neck has the shoulder yoke half way down my arms. It's awful.
I've actually resorted to a custom tailor when I need it to fit right. T-shirts, golf shirts, I just go large and let it be baggy. Best of luck to you.

I'd suggest Carharrt. They come in big and tall sizes. Not the most fashionable but available everywhere and extremely durable. Cabela's and Amazon have quite a selection but I'd check your local farm supply store.

I'm in the same boat. I went through a late growth spurt @ 27. I'm about 6 feet tall and weigh 260lbs. All the regular brands I used to wear I need a 2XL. I put grew a lot of my shirts except for my carharrt stuff.

Now I won't tell you my weight since I gotta lose some of this....................... but 3 bills sounds about right!

Nobody is ever taller than me. I trip! I once went into a donut shop & ran into Dad & his son at 6'7" and I was trippin! I chatted them up so much I wouldn't let them leave. Dad was all embarrassed.

I was the tallest kid in my class all the way to college. Arms & legs like toothpicks. Everybody wanted to fight the tallest kid in school. But a strong wind would push me over. The principal knew me & my parents by name. I was in there at least once a week.

When I filled out in college, I once got in a fight with a black belt in Kenpo Karate, he kicked me in the balls twice, finally pissed me off, so I threw him across the room into the wall. When he realized I was ready to kill him, the fight was over.

All this to say BIG guys take it easy on these little people. I put my best friend in the hospital. You don't realize your own strength.

I'm 6'2 and have a similar problem, but with my arms. I describe them as orangutan arms, they seem disproportionately long, at least when it comes to buying clothes. When I buy a shirt that fits my arm length, it feels like I'm wearing a tent. But I've found that Eddie Bauer stores have stuff that I like in their tall sizes. Depending on the shirt, it will be either an LT or an XLT. And they say that their clothes are preshrunk, which I've found to be pretty accurate.

I second the JCPenny rec. They tend to have a decent "Robust and Reaching" section. For casual stuff -- I'm not gonna lie -- I hit the local K-Mart. They stock more large and/or tall sizes than Target or Walmart, I find.

I'm 6'7, 284 pounds, it's nearly impossible to find pants in store....I buy 2xl or if lucky 2xlt for shirts in most big box stores and they seem to be fine. But yeah finding any sort of pants, be it jeans or dockers is impossible. It stopped being easy over 10 years ago....A couple of stores actually ended at my inseem (36) but stopped that.

It sounds strange but Tractor supply company actually carries Bluejeans that go to my length, and even my waist, and under 40 bucks a pair, but most stores only carry one or two pairs and they usually get snapped up right away. They get them on a Tuesday, and they're gone by Friday. I used to pass one by every time I got off the freeway from my commute, so I would stop in at least one a month just to check.

Now, for the most part, I just order online, usually from Amazon. It sucks because you can't try anything on. And then you have to send them back if they turn out not to fit...and it's not like you can walk in and walk out the same day with clothes. I by Carhart for Jeans because they do have my size, and they're not cheaply made that fall apart after a few washings, which makes them a good value. The Tractor Supply line is like Carhart in that they're pretty rugged and things like the belt loops to break after a few wearings.

One place that you may have luck at is outlet malls....Where companies like reebok, or levi's dump their merchandise. I've found sometimes 1 or 2 pairs of any given line in my size, like at a Dockers or Levis outlet.

It's frustrating...like others have said to places like, Jos A Banks, or Men's wearhouse, or Big and tall, and everything is twice as much as the same product at a department store for a "normal" sized person.

I second the JCPenny rec. They tend to have a decent "Robust and Reaching" section. For casual stuff -- I'm not gonna lie -- I hit the local K-Mart. They stock more large and/or tall sizes than Target or Walmart, I find.

It blew when JC Penny Big and tall became catalog only.

I'll have to check out Kmart.

Meijer's is decent for 2xl and 2xlt shirts and sweaters.

I call BS on you both.I can't find hardly any pants in a 29, let alone 28. all my small shirts are a bit baggy. it ain't right or fair. y'all get whole stores dedicated to Big & Tall while us short scrawny bastards gotta duke it out for the last pair of scrawny pants. you tall guy just don't look that low to see.

I'm 6' 11" 350# with a size 17 shoe. I learned to sow and bed sheets are cheap.

I call BS on you both.I can't find hardly any pants in a 29, let alone 28. all my small shirts are a bit baggy. it ain't right or fair. y'all get whole stores dedicated to Big & Tall while us short scrawny bastards gotta duke it out for the last pair of scrawny pants. you tall guy just don't look that low to see.

Sounds like you're just looking in the wrong section of the store then......

garanimals.jpg

;)

I'm 6'7, 284 pounds, it's nearly impossible to find pants in store....I buy 2xl or if lucky 2xlt for shirts in most big box stores and they seem to be fine. But yeah finding any sort of pants, be it jeans or dockers is impossible. It stopped being easy over 10 years ago....A couple of stores actually ended at my inseem (36) but stopped that.

It sounds strange but Tractor supply company actually carries Bluejeans that go to my length, and even my waist, and under 40 bucks a pair, but most stores only carry one or two pairs and they usually get snapped up right away. They get them on a Tuesday, and they're gone by Friday. I used to pass one by every time I got off the freeway from my commute, so I would stop in at least one a month just to check.

Now, for the most part, I just order online, usually from Amazon. It sucks because you can't try anything on. And then you have to send them back if they turn out not to fit...and it's not like you can walk in and walk out the same day with clothes. I by Carhart for Jeans because they do have my size, and they're not cheaply made that fall apart after a few washings, which makes them a good value. The Tractor Supply line is like Carhart in that they're pretty rugged and things like the belt loops to break after a few wearings.

One place that you may have luck at is outlet malls....Where companies like reebok, or levi's dump their merchandise. I've found sometimes 1 or 2 pairs of any given line in my size, like at a Dockers or Levis outlet.

It's frustrating...like others have said to places like, Jos A Banks, or Men's wearhouse, or Big and tall, and everything is twice as much as the same product at a department store for a "normal" sized person.
Check out Duluth Trading as well. Lot of clothes build for us big guys.

When I filled out in college, I once got in a fight with a black belt in Kenpo Karate, he kicked me in the balls twice, finally pissed me off, so I threw him across the room into the wall. When he realized I was ready to kill him, the fight was over.

All this to say BIG guys take it easy on these little people. I put my best friend in the hospital. You don't realize your own strength.
OT, but why do people think a nut shot is the answer? It's like poking the bear.... Yeah, we're probably going to be on the floor writhing in pain, but what they fail to realize is that is going to happen AFTER we rip their limbs from their bodies.

OT, but why do people think a nut shot is the answer? It's like poking the bear.... Yeah, we're probably going to be on the floor writhing in pain, but what they fail to realize is that is going to happen AFTER we rip their limbs from their bodies.
I know! you go for the throat. don't mess around, go for the throat.

Lands' End website (landsend.com) has great tall options. Get on the email list for weekly coupons. Sears does not carry the extended LE sizes, but I have great luck with the clearance section of the website and waiting for sales (30% off at times.)

I'm 6' 3" with a long torso, so I've switched over to custom tailoring for my work clothes (coat and tie every day). I can still find LE tailored fit dress shirts in 17.5X36 on deep discount (20-40 bucks), and they fit as well as my custom shirts. I usually have to buy XXL shirts, but LE XLT fits me very well in letter sizes.

PM me if you would like a coupon code.

It blew when JC Penny Big and tall became catalog only.

I'll have to check out Kmart.

Meijer's is decent for 2xl and 2xlt shirts and sweaters.

Good thing JCP's cutbacks on Big & Tall isn't universal. Ours still has a robust B&T section and I grab casual shirts and pants there all the time when they hit the sale rack.

3xlt is my best fit ATM. I refuse to pay what the B&T stores charge. $70 for a shirt is insane. I've found good luck recently buying sweat shirts and hoodies from Walmart online. I will have to check out the local K-mart.

For outerwear, i've found Burlington coat factory carries a lot of good name brand stuff in my size.

I'm 6'8" 253 with a size 18 shoe. I don't have any issues with clothes or shoes. JCP carries clothes in my size, the outlets is where I get extra stuff. Online for shoes is cheap and easy. Guess I'm lucky. I also hit up Cabela's, they carry bigger stuff too.

At 6'7" and 250ish, size 14 shoe, I just order just about everything. Sure it takes a couple more days to get everything, but than I know it fits.

Banks is a good place to get shirts, the traveler shirt are really nice.

Since I'm from Canuck-land, some of my recommendations may not work... but I get all my dress shirts from Just White Shirts. I get stuff in Tall, and they fit me just fine (arm length and body length and body width)
I'm 6'5 and 275 (usually 250, but honeymoon + new baby = FAT)

If you wanna spend a bit more money, 7 For All Mankind jeans are great, and Banana Republic shirts tend to be long enough in the body but a bit short in the sleeves. I roll up the sleeves for all my shirts, anyways, so that's a non-issue.

I have a butt-ton of t-shirts, but most are pretty short and I don't really wear them anymore. I've found that snowboard and skatboard brands have some of the longer styles... probably to make kids look thugish or whatever, but they just look like normal clothes on me :p

6'3" here. I buy a few things at Kohl's if you have those near you. Normally they have very good prices and selection. My local one now has a big and tall section with quite a few tall selections. I recently picked up a very nice jacket that was $300 originally for about $70 in 48T that fit perfectly.

I also tend to order from LL Bean as they have tall sizes in most items and I can order my pants in 34 and 36 length inseams which I never find locally. They run sales almost constantly with 10% or 15% off with free shipping. Once you buy from them once they send you discounts pretty often. I have some shirts from them that are 2XT that never wrinkle, fit great, and I have had for probably 10 years or more. They may have been $40 shirts when I got them but I have more than gotten my moneys worth out of them.

Latest posts

Back