Big Stout - Lots of Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

periwinkle1239

Reaction score
I'm starting to plan for a big stout, based on the Founders Breakfast Stout clone in the Recipes of HBT.

The grain schedule is approximately 20 lbs for 5 gal, and I batch sparge (with a 52 quart cooler), so based on my preliminary calcs I am going to have a huge volume of liquid after mashing and sparging if I want to get a decent efficiency.

My question is: will having approximately 9-10 gal and boiling it down to 5.5 gallons have any adverse effects? I'll plan on starting the 60 min hop additions when I get to about 6.5 gal. I have a 10 gal kettle and anticipate it to be as full as it's ever been pre-boil.

. . . . . . My question is: will having approximately 9-10 gal and boiling it down to 5.5 gallons have any adverse effects? I'll plan on starting the 60 min hop additions when I get to about 6.5 gal. I have a 10 gal kettle and anticipate it to be as full as it's ever been pre-boil.

Well, it's not possible to boil 9-10 gallons of wort (with the proper vigorous boil) in a 10 gallon pot without a ton of boilover, eventually your volume will be reduced to a manageable size however you will be loosing maltose as well with the boilover so you may not be able to reach the OG while ending at 5.5 gallons.

I've brewed 8 gallons in my 8 gallon brew kettle 3 different times with no boil-over. You just have to watch it real close right as you're getting close to boil temp. I sit there and take temperature readings pretty often once it gets up around 200F so I can pretty much know when she'll start boiling. Keep a water bottle on hand to spray down any foaming, and be ready to turn down the gas as soon as it starts. You have to babysit it, but it can be done. Start the first few minutes with a slow roll, and once you have more space in your kettle, crank the heat up.

I don't mind doing it. There is something therapeutic about watching the rolling boil.

Also, you realize it's going to take you 3-4 hours to boil that down, right?

I've done 5 gal in a 5 gal pot. Just needs a baby sitter; whats an hour of your life for 5 gallons of beer?

Thanks for all the replies but I guess the point of my question was missed. My fault for not wording it correctly. I appreciate your comments however. I was more concerned about the outcome and basically flavor of the brew since I'll be boiling so much down.

Well, it's not possible to boil 9-10 gallons of wort (with the proper vigorous boil) in a 10 gallon pot without a ton of boilover, eventually your volume will be reduced to a manageable size however you will be loosing maltose as well with the boilover so you may not be able to reach the OG while ending at 5.5 gallons.

Actually it was sort of a trick question. I've already boiled 9+ gallons last week, it was a doppelbock. I should've asked this question earlier, but since I know I'll be in the same situation with the imperial stout thought I would ask it now. See the pre-boil picture below, controlling the boil was very difficult at first but I did it without boiling over!:rockin: I was able to do a nice vigorous boil once I started my 1-hour boil with hop additions.
photo.JPG
Also, you realize it's going to take you 3-4 hours to boil that down, right?

Yes when I brewed my doppelbock it took about 2 hours to boil down before I started my 1-hour boil.

I've done 5 gal in a 5 gal pot. Just needs a baby sitter; whats an hour of your life for 5 gallons of beer?

Exactly what I was thinking! I've got all the time and propane in the world!

Excellent job guys!!!, however I don't have that kind of babysitting time, I've got things to see and people to do.

Periwinkle, there will be no flavor problems, it will be . . . . . . . dank.

Sounds like you're all ready to go! Let us know how it turns out.

Back