Big stout fermentation idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenAgee

Reaction score
I brewed a stout (five gallons) that beersmith estimates around 15% abv almost two weeks ago. Fermentation has seemed healthy (nottingham starter) so far, but I lost about a gallon to blow-off in the first couple days. I used yeast nutrient the last ten minutes of the boil, after ten days fermenting I estimated 10% abv already using refractometer calculations and adjustments, but I want to err on the side of caution. On top of that, I want to recover the lost gallon. So my idea is to create a new yeast starter (different yeast), boil a one or two gallon "new" beer (but as close to the original recipe, except extract with a tiny bit of specialty grains, and higher alcohol potential - 20% or so, as I can), and ferment the tiny batch with the new yeast starter until it calms down... then blend it with the still-fermenting, original, four gallon batch. This is an experimental brew anyway, so my question is whether there are any glaring flaws in this plan.

summary
almost two weeks into fermenting a starting 26 brix imperial stout - lost almost a gallon out of five to blow-off - want to ensure complete fermentation but possibly recoup the near gallon blow-off loss - idea is to brew small, stovetop batch and blend. Any problems?

also planning on extracting vanilla beans, oak chips, probably coffee, maybe chillies, in bourbon for a month and letting the beer sit on that during two months of secondary. the guy who had me brew this wanted something like Prairie Artisan Ales' Bomb!, but i could find no info on the grains they used, so i looked at a bunch of others' extreme stout recipes and came up with my own. any feedback is appreciated.

Back