Big Mouth Bubbler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngpretender13

Reaction score
Anyone try using the new 6.5 Gal Big mouth bubbler from Northern brewer yet? Looking to buy a new fermenter from my booch and this seems like the best thing.

Nope but I'd like one as well. I'd like to consolidate all my gallons jars down to just one container.
If you get one, get the carry strap. A full glass carboy isn't light!

Looks quite nice and useful. Wouldn't want to carry one when full, though...

Yes, I have a batch going in mine right now. So far, I like it. I do agree with others that say the glass doesn't feel particularly 'Thick' as carboys go. The large screw on lid does seal well, but due to it's size, is hard to get a good grip on to loosen once you've had a good active fermentation (the krausen tends to glue it shut).

It does have a neat little integrated airlock feature, but I found that to be a little shallow for actual use, and with the amount of liquid in the open airlock exposed, it evaporates more quickly. Mine did include a microfiber cloth and appropriate bung for the lid, so I'm using a standard 3-piece.

Not much more to say, it's very easy to clean and remove dry hop bags after they've swollen!

BhRD20sCQAACWYe.jpg:large

Foil is on there to prevent it from being spoiled by the light in the kitchen, no other reason.

Can't beat it for a secondary fermenter and whole leaf hops.

I asked NB if they would substitute these for the regular ones at an added cost but they said no :(

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

...however I noticed that if a guy (or gal) wanted to use an auto-siphon you are outa luck with the big mouth. The advertisement, well, catalog description notes the Big Mouth Bubbler was "created by homebrewers for homebrewers", or something close to that, but the noted homebrewers apparently do not use auto-siphons as they will not fit in the smaller sized stopper hole.

As a side note, although related, why is it that every fermenter has some sort of G-D'd proprietary (or otherwise) short coming? The Speidel's spigot will leak, at least mine did (I rigged a fix for it) as it did for a number of others per the reviews at MoreBeer. The big mouth as a stupidly smaller stopper hole/stopper arrangement, no doubt to sell a few extra flipp'n stoppers. Plastic scratches. Glass carboys cannot be easily cleaned. SS is expensive and I'd bet a dollar there are some issues with one aspect or another on the Brew Bucket... The Big Mouth was a great idea cut to 'just another idea' due to the lid, IMHO.

I have a batch in one right now. First time I have used it and the one short coming is the smaller bung hole that an auto-siphon won't fit in. Otherwise, it looks to be a darn nifty device.

I got the 5-gallon one for doing 2nd ferments, works great. Don't understand the ***** about the small hole in the lid - just take the lid off & siphon! The carry strap is well worth the extra $$$.

I hate to ruin the party on this item but I just ordered 4 of these, (actual Big Mouth brand, not the Chinese crap) and 4 out of 4 of them have air bubbles in the glass that has popped and left a rough edge on the inside. If you have one of these run your finger over the bubble inside and see if you have a rough edge that will hold all your little bacteria friends. Mine are going back! The glass is very thin too.

i bought an evo2, used it to brew an IPA from an extract kit. had no issues. i am using a regular glass carboy for secondary fermentation. i had zero issues with the evo2 worked great. i put my carboys in milk carates, so if i need to move them around i have something to grip. the evo 2 fits also. i am ordering a second one soon. happy brewing!!

primary 1: irish stout
primary 2:
secondary 1: imperial blonde
secondary 2: IPA

:mug:

Back