Big Mouth Bubbler- Solution to the bad lid seal problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does the Fermonster work for sealing? A brewery I went to recently started using them for pilot/small batches, but I didn't think to see how they sealed. They are a similar product but without the waterdrop pattern molded in the walls. Looks like a nice, basic, fermentor.

The Fermonster has a gasket that fits in the lid. When it is screwed down, the gasket creates a seal between the lid and the base.

If you have the threaded ring and cover, use that with the silicone gasket. It's the "easy solution" in the first post. Works for me every time.

I gave a fellow brewer a big hug today when he offered me some spare threaded collars for the old-style BMB's.

How does the Fermonster work for sealing? A brewery I went to recently started using them for pilot/small batches, but I didn't think to see how they sealed. They are a similar product but without the waterdrop pattern molded in the walls. Looks like a nice, basic, fermentor.

I've got two of them. They do great, I have to use the heavy rubber bungs with them and kind of twist them in. I wish they were glass though.

I love mine. I bought a 6 gallon to try. Love it so much, I sold all my BMBs to a club member and replaced with 3 more Fermonsters.

The only negative I have is if you crank down on the lid real tight, it can be a real pita to take off. A strap wrench will fix that though. The last two batches I've done, I've just barely snugged the lids to where I can still take them off easily to clean.

The mouth could also be a little bit wider (nit picking), but since the dirtiest part of the fermenter is usually the krausen ring at the top, no problems.

Does anyone know where you can purchase the old screw on lids for the Big Mouth Bubblers?

You would think that MW/NB would still sell them? But, they're still in denial there's a problem so selling them would be contradictory to their position that the new and improved lipped system works fine as-is. But, maybe we'll start seeing bricks, weights, straps and chains in their store since they are the approved solutions. Feeling sarcastic today.

You would think that MW/NB would still sell them? But, they're still in denial there's a problem so selling them would be contradictory to their position that the new and improved lipped system works fine as-is. But, maybe we'll start seeing bricks, weights, straps and chains in their store since they are the approved solutions. Feeling sarcastic today.

Or increased Fermonster sales.

Turn the silicone seal upside down. I've tried it, it works on mine. It's tighter, but then, that's what you want.

I need to try that. I had some short-lived success by trimming off the larger top rib which never seemed to fully slip into the carboy lid.

I have one of the big mouth bubblers and what I do is dry off the air lock bung, the inner and outer diameter of the seal, and the blue top before pushing it on. I also wipe the inside of the carboy that the seal contacts with a paper towel to dry it off. If everything is dry the lid wont pop off until your remove it. This has worked for me with no modifications. :mug:

I still have my original with the old modified screw on lid but it has been getting a bit deformed. I clean it by filling with hot water and Oxyclean to soak for an hour or two. My hot water is about 120-122F. Even though BMB says it is safe up to 140F, mine has slowly deformed over the last year. With the ribs and textured walls, it is also tough to clean. I got a Fermonster and love it. It is heavier gauge plastic with smooth walls and a screw on lid. I may turn my BMB into a terrarium :p

I do is dry off the air lock bung, the inner and outer diameter of the seal, and the blue top before pushing it on. I also wipe the inside of the carboy that the seal contacts with a paper towel to dry it off. If everything is dry the lid wont pop off until your remove it.

This worked great, until I added a blow-off tube. Then the weight of the tube (pulling a bit sideways) pulled the universal lid up one side, and eventually popped it out.

I think what I’m going to do is buy the screw-on lids for the Fast Fermenter (which supposedly fit the BMB plastic) and cut out the center. Then I’m also going the trim the edge of the universal lid, like the OP did, and make a hybrid of the two.

I’m doing this because I like the depth of the BMB’s universal lid... it’s already saved me on several brews that I thought wouldn’t need a blow off tube but did. That recessed area holds about a cup of liquid, and gives you about a day’s worth of leeway between checking your vessels.

I stopped by a big box store tonight and bought two stainless 5-7" Hose Clamps. One I attached around the neck of the bubbler, and the second I cut with tin snips and bent to act as a hold down bracket. Total cost, $4.00. Time to build and install, less than 5 minutes. I have ordered the screw on lids as well, but at least I my top wont keep popping off until the other lids come in.

20181105_212804_Small.jpg

I like the big mouth bubbler for the ease of cleaning but I truly am disappointed in Midwest's failure to address the ongoing lid issue. I can't think of any of us that would not have bought a "Screw on Collar" type of lid if they had just decided to manufacture one. Instead they have ended up with a bunch of dis-satisfied customers.

Last edited:
I started with the BMB Fermenters and studied the issue of slipping up lids and came to the conclusion after lengthy internet searches that it has been far easier and more importantly, cost effective for NB and Midwest to blame you than the design. Suggesting in several places with not only wiping the lid, gasket, and neck of the fermenter with paper towels to dry them off first but also to weigh down the lid with weights of some sort which i have relied on several times. Some have used web straps to hold them in place, looping around the top and bottom. I also have seen many times the mention of fastferment screw on caps being the same diameter might work as well, but at 10 dollars per lid i have held off untill i see a lid in place and working. Bottom line, im using them for smaller batches untill i finish building a few SS bucket fermenters from standard non-ported SS Kettles using a silicone tubing gasket around the rim and grommet-airlocks ala ale pail style for next season. Good Luck BMB owners!
Mike

bubbler top.jpg
Before I found this thread I just put two strips of duct tape 180 degrees apart to hold the lid to the bubbler. Works just fine.

Last edited:
I have been reading about all possible fixes for the big mouth bubbler's failure to seal. Thought I'd share my solution. I bought a $3 tube of 100% silicone and applied a very small bead to the lip of the lid, let it cure 24+ hours, then screwed it down as usual and viola! It works. Fermenter is bubbling along. I gave some consideration as to being "food grade" silicone, but NB uses a silicone seal to "fix" this problem so......
Thoughts and comments welcome.
IMG_4740.jpg

Back