Big Dummy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmadway

Reaction score
Like a big dummy I mixed my grain bill in with my flaked oats and flaked barley when I was at my homebrew shop this morn. Any problem crushing the flakes oats and barley along with my grains? Or should I do my best to fish 'em out from the grains? Brewing a milk stout and I'll be BIAB brewing this batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Flaked grains have been pre-gelatinized by the flaking process, meaning they've been cooked a little and are ready to use in brewing. There's no hull to worry about. So all you're doing is just making them into smaller pieces when they're getting crushed. No big deal :tank:

Rice hulls take the place of the barley husks to form the filter bed in a conventional mash tun. They work great for wheat or rye since neither of them have the husks. In BIAB, the find mesh of the bag is the filter so rice hulls aren't needed. They won't hurt anything either except perhaps your wallet but they are pretty cheap so even that isn't much to worry about.

Back