Big Cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shine0n

Reaction score
Last Friday my friend and I started a cyser.

4 gallon batch
12 lb wildflower honey
3 gallon 100% organic apple juice 1.050
D47 yeast
Fermaid 0 tonsa 2
OG 1.145
Degassing 3-4 times daily

Things are rolling right along and the sg is falling steady, not sure if this will go dry but we dont care if it does because we want it sweeter anyway. If it happens to go dry, we'll go the stabilized route and backsweeten but im not convinced it will. "Yet"

Anyway, I have a concern about the pectin in the apple juice, we did not use enzyme to rid the haze for later and do not have a wine filter.

This juice is 100 natural and unfiltered and no processing has been done to it, should I be concerned of the pectin haze? I know that later i can triple the dose but when exactly should we do this? Now, after fermentation?

Lalvin D47, yea I know its good before but we were caught up in the moment and completely forgot. Ive read you can add at some point after but im not sure if I should let it finish or do it now

D47 good choice— it should leave some flavor and sweetness. Are you gifting this or sending to competition? The haze doesn’t change the flavor or mouthfeel. Will follow to see what others say.

Im sure we'll gift some but kepping the most. Lol

Still would like to get clear as possible just in case I decide to enter anything.

The high gravity I'm quite sure will be a bit much for the D47 so im really not expecting to to finish dry. Aprox 19% and D47s tolerance isnt that lol

I have pushed yeasts to the max before by step feeding but im not going to do that on this one.

In just 6 days this thing has gone to .050 from 1.145.
This is by far the fastest big mead ive ever done, wow!

Temp is 68f and after writing it the way i did I probably should've edited it around the other way lol

My normal 3lb per gal takes around a week as well but this was a much higher og so im a bit surprised by the movement and speed of this ferment.

Its down to 1.024ish now but still very much alive with action.

Now my question is can I now add the pectic enzyme and how much should I use?

Latest posts

Back