Big bold porter - Critiques welcome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
I want a full body, arrogant imperial porter for Christmas. Here my first draft.

Grains

Amount Fermentable Maltster Use PPG Color
10.0 lb Maris Otter Pale (UK) Any Mash 38 3 °L
1.0 lb Crystal 60L (CA) Any Mash 34 60 °L
12.0 oz Black Malt (US) Any Mash 28 500 °L
8.0 oz Carafa Special III Weyermann® Mash 32 553 °L
8.0 oz Crystal 70L (UK) Any Mash 34 70 °L
5.5 oz Chocolate (UK) Any Mash 34 425 °L
3.0 oz Carapils (DE) Any Boil 35 1 °L
3.0 oz Flaked Wheat Any Boil 34 2 °L

Hops

Amount Hop Time Use Form AA
0.35 oz Magnum (US) 90 min Boil Pellet 13.0%
0.5 oz Columbus (US) 60 min Boil Pellet 15.0%
0.5 oz Cascade (US) 30 min Boil Pellet 7.0%
1.75 oz Cascade (US) 0 min Boil Pellet 7.0%
2.5 oz Cascade (US) 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 7.0%

Yeast

Name Lab/Product Attenuation
Nottingham Ale Yeast 77.5%

You've got a little over 1.5 lb for about 12% total with 0.5 lb of it debittered, what is this about a 1.070 beer? It doesn't look like crazy much but I think I'd cut the black to 0.5 lb. It is a little high on the total crystal for me for a porter, I like UK crystals in this style so if it were me I'd probably go with .75 lb of that. I'm not crazy about the hop schedule but if you want big cascade character I won't argue.

Good luck with it!
:mug:

I'd use the Carafa III or the black, but not both. You've got 20 oz. of 500+ Lovibond stuff, which might be a bit much.

What are you doing for the mash temp? I've experimented with robust porters and I've found that with highly attenuative yeast like Nottingham, a mash temp around 155-156 is great. With low attenuators like 002, a little lower is good.

It is a style that has lots of opinions. You asked, here are mine:

I really don't like black in a Porter (it is my kind of distinction between a Stout and a Porter), but love lots of Chocolate. I'd drop the black and Carafa, and go with 1.5 to 2 lbs of Chocolate.

1.5 lbs of crystal seems way too much for my liking. I'd go more like 0.5 to 0.75 lbs of a darker crystal (C90 or C120). You have a tom of specialty malts in there - you don't need that much and they all add unfermentable sugars. If you want the hops to stand out, you probably want to get it drier rather than sweeter in the finish.

You don't need the carapils or the wheat. You will have plenty of dextrins for head retention. A half pound of flaked or rolled Oats or flaked Barley would be a nice touch.

Why the hops? I guess that is the arrogant part.

I like some licorice in my Porters. I prefer brewers licorice, but licorice root, or even star anise would do. Provides a nice depth of flavor in the background.

You've got a little over 1.5 lb for about 12% total with 0.5 lb of it debittered, what is this about a 1.070 beer? It doesn't look like crazy much but I think I'd cut the black to 0.5 lb. It is a little high on the total crystal for me for a porter, I like UK crystals in this style so if it were me I'd probably go with .75 lb of that. I'm not crazy about the hop schedule but if you want big cascade character I won't argue.

Good luck with it!
:mug:

I will go 156F

Hi all.

I adjusted the recipe based on your comments. I don't have a lot latitude due to the fact most of the grains come from my limited inventory.

1.0 lb Maris Otter Pale (UK) 3 °L
9.6 oz Crystal 70L (UK) 70 °L
9.0 oz Carafa Special III 553 °L
5.5 oz Chocolate (UK) Any 425 °L
3.0 oz Flaked Wheat Any 2 °L

1.087 OG 1.020 FG 75IBU 51SRM 8.8%
--

What do you think?

On hands I still have :

Malt chocolat pale Fawcett 195 lvb- 13.7 oz
Black malt - 549 lvb - 15.8 oz
Malt aromatic - dingemans - 19,8 lvb - 4.9 oz
Malt amber - Fawcett - 40 lvb - 13.9 oz
Munich - 1 lbs
Malt brown Fawcett - 55 lvb - 11.3 oz

I've been liking Brown malt a lot lately. And just bottled up a Porter that included a decent amount of it.

If you can, I'd add some in there. It adds some depth that is lacking if you only use the really dark grains like black, chocolate, roasted and such.

Edit: Just saw you have some Brown malt on hand. I say go for it.

I've been liking Brown malt a lot lately. And just bottled up a Porter that included a decent amount of it.

If you can, I'd add some in there. It adds some depth that is lacking if you only use the really dark grains like black, chocolate, roasted and such.

Edit: Just saw you have some Brown malt on hand. I say go for it.

What would you replace for it?

As for Carafa Special III I am not sure.. should I replace it with chocolat pale or black malt?

I'm a little confused which version you have going now, but IMO if you are wanting a big bold Robust type porter I would include some black malt plus chocolate (either regular or pale). For more of a brown porter style I like a lot of brown malt and some pale chocolate with very little if any black malt, usually I don't use any and instead include just a little debittered. So I guess it depends on what you want. You certainly don't have to stick to any defined style, but for the purposes of getting advice these descriptions might help you clarify what you are aiming for (these are from the 2008 guidelines):

Brown Porter

Flavor: Malt flavor includes a mild to moderate roastiness (frequently with a chocolate character) and often a significant caramel, nutty, and/or toffee character. May have other secondary flavors such as coffee, licorice, biscuits or toast in support. Should not have a significant black malt character (acrid, burnt, or harsh roasted flavors), although small amounts may contribute a bitter chocolate complexity. English hop flavor moderate to none. Medium-low to medium hop bitterness will vary the balance from slightly malty to slightly bitter. Usually fairly well attenuated, although somewhat sweet versions exist. Diacetyl should be moderately low to none. Moderate to low fruity esters.

Overall Impression: A fairly substantial English dark ale with restrained roasty characteristics.

Comments: Differs from a robust porter in that it usually has softer, sweeter and more caramelly flavors, lower gravities, and usually less alcohol. More substance and roast than a brown ale. Higher in gravity than a dark mild. Some versions are fermented with lager yeast. Balance tends toward malt more than hops. Usually has an “English” character.

Ingredients: English ingredients are most common. May contain several malts, including chocolate and/or other dark roasted malts and caramel-type malts. Historical versions would use a significant amount of brown malt. Usually does not contain large amounts of black patent malt or roasted barley. English hops are most common, but are usually subdued.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.040 – 1.052
IBUs: 18 – 35 FG: 1.008 – 1.014
SRM: 20 – 30 ABV: 4 – 5.4%

Robust Porter

Flavor: Moderately strong malt flavor usually features a lightly burnt, black malt character (and sometimes chocolate and/or coffee flavors) with a bit of roasty dryness in the finish. Overall flavor may finish from dry to medium-sweet, depending on grist composition, hop bittering level, and attenuation. May have a sharp character from dark roasted grains, although should not be overly acrid, burnt or harsh. Medium to high bitterness, which can be accentuated by the roasted malt. Hop flavor can vary from low to moderately high (US or UK varieties, typically), and balances the roasted malt flavors.

Overall Impression: A substantial, malty dark ale with a complex and flavorful roasty character.

Comments: Although a rather broad style open to brewer interpretation, it may be distinguished from Stout as lacking a strong roasted barley character. It differs from a brown porter in that a black patent or roasted grain character is usually present, and it can be stronger in alcohol. Roast intensity and malt flavors can also vary significantly. May or may not have a strong hop character, and may or may not have significant fermentation by-products; thus may seem to have an “American” or “English” character.

History: Stronger, hoppier and/or roastier version of porter designed as either a historical throwback or an American interpretation of the style. Traditional versions will have a more subtle hop character (often English), while modern versions may be considerably more aggressive. Both types are equally valid.

Ingredients: May contain several malts, prominently dark roasted malts and grains, which often include black patent malt (chocolate malt and/or roasted barley may also be used in some versions). Hops are used for bittering, flavor and/or aroma, and are frequently UK or US varieties.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.048 – 1.065
IBUs: 25 – 50 FG: 1.012 – 1.016
SRM: 22 – 35 ABV: 4.8 – 6.5%

Back