Big Beers - Commercial Breweries and Aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcdawg

Reaction score
I was at my local watering hole last night, Cannonball Creek, talking to the staff about their American Stout. Its 8.5% and won silver at the last GABF. Its fantastic with no lingering alcohol taste. I was surprised to find out they do not age it whatsoever.

I'm curious, is there something commercial brewers do in their process that doesn't require aging? Search on this forum and most homebrewers recommend aging big beers to bring out complex flavors, but mostly to mellow the alcohol flavor. What is different about homebrewing versus commercial brewing? If you are able to keep your fermentation temps constant and in the correct range, why would there be a difference?

I brewed an imperial stout (8.8%) about a month ago. I plan to bottle and age for 6+ months, but I'll be tasting it every month or so to see how it matures over time.

Cheers!
:mug:

I would imagine it is mostly a matter of fermentation process. A good, clean, fermentation shortens or removes the need to age out any imperfections.

A couple of points come to mind:

First, most commercial breweries, with some years of experience, are plain and simply far better brewers. Their recipe formulation, knowledge and execution are something that very few have on our side of the hobby. Granted, some breweries suck, but when you find one that produces great beer, its no coincidence.

Next, they probably have a far better control on their ingredients. Consistent grain, hops, and yeast quality that it simply out of the hands of homebrewers.

I've also had success with some big beers (mainly barleywines) that have been lights out at a very young age. Granted, a year later, they are ever-changing and amazing beers still.

Finally, some breweries do go our route. There is a nice barleywine made by some scandinavian brewery (name escapes me but I can find out tomorrow when I go the store) that holds on to all of the beer until they feel its aged and ready. They just released a 4-year old beer. Why most breweries won't age it is exactly what happens here: the price is rather outrageous. Breweries simply don't have the space to hold on to that much beer and if they do, you will pay a heavy price

When Gravity Brewing opened in Louisville, one of the first beers they made was an 11.5% oak-aged stout. They brewed it 2 weeks before their grand opening. I went and had some-it was really good. I was pretty astonished that they could knock a beer like that out so quickly. I heard Jamil say on his show that Old Rasputin is packaged and shipped out 2 weeks after brew day as well.

Bottling any beer is going to add a few weeks of time before it hits its stride, but I think if you pitch enough healthy yeast and have temperature control on your fermentation, most ales will be drinkable in a couple weeks.

I'm not saying the following to brag, but to let you know that high alcohol homebrewed beer, and dark beer for that matter, can be great without age. I got a gold in competition with my American Stout. 1.072 OG, 7.4% ABV, fermented for 8 days, and it had a pound and a half of roasted malts. It was 2 months old when judged and received first place against 21 other beers. The competition had 555 beers total. This beer honestly was not only drinkable 2 weeks from brew date, it was also quite good. It really hit it's stride at about 3 weeks from brew date, which was about 2 weeks after it was kegged. I also got a silver in the same competition with a 9.5 % Imperial IPA that was fermented for two weeks and in the bottle for one. I kegged and beer gunned both of these beers.

I know that winning two measly medals doesn't make me an expert, but more often than not I feel that aging most beer is way overrated and unnecessary. If you don't have any off flavors at the end of fermentation then there should be little to mellow out. High alcohol % is a concern and would be better when mellowed with some age. Heck, it can even be masked with the right recipe. Most beer under 10% could be enjoyed fresh if you have a solid recipe and a controlled fermentation. I wouldn't doubt that some over 10% could be enjoyed somewhat fresh if you had the right recipe and a controlled fermentation. This is a generalization and every beer requires different needs. On the other hand, if one's fermentation isn't dialed in and completely controlled then they should expect to age out some off flavors. The same goes for recipe flaws.

I would imagine it is mostly a matter of fermentation process. A good, clean, fermentation shortens or removes the need to age out any imperfections.

+1

A Brewery's goal is to make money. A quick inventory turn is key for some. Therefore, there have likely been a lot of resources put towards a quick turnaround on all beers, unless there is a marketing tactic to aging that will increase sales and profit. If you have the time to mature your beer, go for it. You don't have a balance sheet to keep track of. If you want to make beer quick, then perfect that process. Either way, you can brew to your preferences.

Roed Haus Brewery

High alcohol % is a concern and would be better when mellowed with some age. Heck, it can even be masked with the right recipe. Most beer under 10% could be enjoyed fresh if you have a solid recipe and a controlled fermentation.
Seconded. While the beer you are talking about is technically high grav (8.5%), I don't consider this a BIG beer. I haven't had an issue with young hot alcohol flavors until I just recently brewed a beer that is 14+%.

I think a lot of even really rigorous homebrewers don't realize just how much yeast you need to get a clean ferment on a big beer. and some think they realize but forget that too much yeast can be just as much of a problem. I think I finally figured it out with my last Barley wine. It was 1.100 to start and I pitched ~12 ounces of thinnish slurry from an IPA that had just finished up (actually brewed as a 'starter' for the barley wine). Kept it nice and cool for 4 weeks and kegged and it was amazing flat. I don't get the ugly baby syndrome, i'm more the hyper self critical type so I'm fairly confident that it was just that good.

Fred Bonjour often states the same, if you brew it right in the first place it doesn't need a ton of age to be good.

I also think a lot of pro breweries rush big beers out the door hoping that you will age them or just don't care.

Finally, some breweries do go our route. There is a nice barleywine made by some scandinavian brewery (name escapes me but I can find out tomorrow when I go the store) that holds on to all of the beer until they feel its aged and ready. They just released a 4-year old beer.

There are definitely some examples of big breweries letting beers age, but they only do it for certain styles, and as prev mentioned, pass the cost on to you.

One great example of such an aged beer is "Pere Jacque" by Goose Island. Its a Belgian dubbel that continues to age in the bottle.

Such beers def seem to be the exception rather than the norm though

Latest posts

Back