Big beer- Double IPA Kern Citra /us05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankjones

Reaction score
Hi folks, I used brewers friend to scale this Kern River DIPA

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/247012/kern-river-d-i-p-a

I'm going to do a 2.5 gallon batch. I think I have it scaled out right from the original recipe I found http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrec...rn-river-brewing-company-cybi-podcast-version

Can anyone take a quick look at my version and give input, the hops didn't scale correctly so I manually tweaked them.

Is one packet of us05 enough for this batch?

Thanks in advance.

Would it be a better idea to get a vial of west coast ale yeast and make a starter?

One packet of US-05 should be fine for 2.5gal

Your version looks scaled right. Malts you can generally do straight %. Hops are a bit different b/c their utilization depends on water volume too I think. Your will probabaly be a bit more hoppy but thats not a bad thing

I'm a bit wary of that "clone" recipe. An 8.2% IPA with 1.25 lb sweet specialty malts, and no sugar to help dry it out? I've had Kern River once or twice, and I don;t remember it being cloyingly sweet. I'd do yourself a favor and straight up take out the crystal and sub in table sugar. Keep the honey malt if you want. I sometimes like 1/4lb in my IPAs but you want to keep the specialty malts very low in DIPAs

Moops. I was just thinking about taking out the Munich and adding white table sugar. I just read an article that mentioned exactly that, about the big IPA s needing help to dry out.

Was thinking to take off the Munich and add the sugar but how much would you recommend?

One packet of US-05 should be
fine for 2.5gal

Your version looks scaled right. Malts you can generally do straight %. Hops are a bit different b/c their utilization depends on water volume too I think. Your will probabaly be a bit more hoppy but thats not a bad thing

I'm a bit wary of that "clone" recipe. An 8.2% IPA with 1.25 lb sweet specialty malts, and no sugar to help dry it out? I've had Kern River once or twice, and I don;t remember it being cloyingly sweet. I'd do yourself a favor and straight up take out the crystal and sub in table sugar. Keep the honey malt if you want. I sometimes like 1/4lb in my IPAs but you want to keep the specialty malts very low in DIPAs

I definitely like a dry, bitter IPA. Sierra Nevada pale is OK, that's the best I can get around here... Hoping to get this one right...

I've brewed the podcast version 5.5gal last week. I used WPL001.

I would not change the grain bill. 1.011 -12 looks petty dry to me.

I'm doing the podcast version scaled down to a small batch 2.5 or 3 g not sure yet

I know it's early yet, did you get a sample yet?

Tomorrow its one week in the fermentor. So, no, I did not sample yet.
That was my strongest fermentation so far. It blew off my bubbler. I switched to blow off now and there is 1/2 an inch of yeast settled out in the blow of pitcher. :rockin:

I couldn't access that new recipe on brewersfriend, but here's what I'd do to get it nice, dry, and drinkable:

- take out the 12oz crystal, leave the honey
- take out the 12oz munich
- add 1.0 lb sugar, this should about equalize the abv
- also, I'd switch out maybe 2lbs of the 2row for more wheat. I love having a good portion of wheat in my IPAs for a nice creamyness. Works well with the newer fruity hops

Back