BierMunchers WitBier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pava

Reaction score
I am going to be making the Witbier from BierMunchers 'Just Another BrewDay' thread. My LHBS only had about 4.5 lbs of flaked wheat on hand, I am planning on using flaked oats for the other 4.5 lbs. Anyone have any thoughts on how this will affect the outcome or if this is a bad idea altogether.

Thanks
-Pava

I am planning on 11 gallons at this point. .. if I can't do it with the flaked oats I may have to cut it in half. In the original thread someone asked about a sub for flaked wheat and I think it was BierMuncher that said if he absolutely had to sub he would use flaked oats. I am still just not sure that it is a good idea either and was hoping that someone may have tried it or could offer a little more insight into how much this might affect the outcome (especially since I am subbing half the amount and not the whole thing).

Are you making 11 gallons of it? I am not sure you would want to sub flaked oats.

Right, his recipe is for 11 gallons. If you are doing 5, then you are set with the 4.5 lbs.

If you are doing 11 gallons, I'd sub in malted wheat for the flaked. Maybe a pound or two of oats, and the rest malted wheat. I think 4 lbs of oats would change the beer too much.

you want some 2 row or pils in there

FYI, this is the recipe he is talking about. There is 2 row.

As far as a recipe:
(For 11 gallons)
8# 2-row
9# Flaked Wheat
2# White Wheat Malt

1.25 ounces of Sterlnig Hops at 60 minutes (I just use whatever clean bittering hop I can find since it plays such a minimal role)

6-7 ounces fresh orange zest - 10 minutes
2 ounces of freshly crushed (pulverized) coriander - 10 minutes
1-2 Tbsp of crushed black pepper - 10 minutes
4 chamomile tea bags - 10 minutes

OG - 1.048
IBU - Somewhere around 17-18

I poured the spice mixes into the hop bag with 10-15 minutes left in the boil. Then I tied off that bag and let it sink to the bottom of the kettle as I cooled the wort. I wanted to let those spices (and hops) steep for the extra 15 minutes.

I pitched a simple slurry of Safale-05 from a prior batch when the wort hit 76 degrees. A bit warmer than usual, but the higher temp will add some slight esters I want.

Thanks for posting the recipe so he wants to convert the 9# flaked wheat into 4.5# flaked wheat and 4.5# flaked oats. As mentioned above that is too much flaked oats (23%) and it will change the flavor. Usually flaked oat is about 10% of the recipe

OK so combining a couple of responses here let me see if this sounds OK. Use the 4.5lbs of flaked wheat, say about 2lbs of flaked oats (10% of recipe) and sub 2.5 lbs of malted wheat to make up the difference. So the final recipe would look like this.

8lbs 2-row
4.5lbs flaked wheat
2lbs flaked oats
2lbs white wheat malt
2.5lbs malted wheat

Any thoughts?? Does this sound about right?

Back